1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Root issue on tablet

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by Crystallynnd88, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crystallynnd88

Crystallynnd88 Thread Starter

I bought a rooted samsung tablet from my friend. I would like to update the tablet from version 5.1 to at least 8 so I can use the picture in picture feature in youtube which I sorely need. He lives out of state so I messaged him asking if I unroot can I update to a newer version, he said yes. I read online that if you go into the settings menu of supersu, which he had installed on the tablet, that you can click "clean for permanent unroot". Well after unrooting and attempting to update software I received an error message stating my device has been modified in an unauthorized way. I read that I can use a PC to install updates however I dont have any access to a PC. I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone is willing to give. Thank you so much

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I suggest you go back to the friend you bought it from

and although he lives out of state, by whatever method he got the tablet to you, I suggest you return it to this friend and ask him to do what he says is possible

As generally speaking once you receive this message
    it is for most people a lost cause, without access to files to rewrite the tablet firmware and it is most certainly NOT possible without a computer

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I own two unrooted Samsung tablets both Galaxy Tab A's. Neither have mobile access.

Samsung controls what versions of android you get, I assume based on the age of the tablet. You can check for updates through the settings but you can't force an update to a newer version of android.
    If the tablet has cell phone too, then the updates are determined by the cell carrier.

The older 10.1", purchased in 2016, came with Marshmallow (6) was updated to Nougat (7) and now runs Oreo (8).
    The newer 8", purchased in 2019, came with Oreo (8) and was updated to Pie (9).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  4. Macboatmaster

The Samsung in question IS rooted
    I am with respect unsure if you are fully aware what rooted means

To root means to take control of the firmware, so that you have the equivalent of full administrative control,

A more limited aspect of root in Linux for instance is when you use a terminal to issue a cmd and prefix it with sudo - super user do

However the rooting referred to is generally to totally remove the devices OS and firmware so that a more recent version of the OS may be installed on a tablet or phone where that new version is not offered by for instance Samsung, as the base firmware of the Samsung will not accept the new version of the OS

So unless I am wrong and have misunderstood the situation the fact that you have two unrooted Samsung tablets is a little irrelevant. PLEASE accept my apologies if I have misunderstood

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The OP stated this
    Based on my experience Yes is the wrong answer. An unrooted device can NOT be updated to a newer version.
    That why I posted what happens with unrooted devices.

6. Macboatmaster

You are, without doubt right for devices that have not been rooted, they can only be updated if the update is offered on the device , or it is available for THAT device with that firmware, on the manufacturers website

Please accept my apologies for my misunderstanding of what you were saying.

I did not connect your post with the aspect of the topic that you now quote in your last post
    I still think, as I said, that this, as below, tends to indicate it has not been successfully done

I remain certain that the solution if there is one is, as I said on my first reply, to return the tablet to the friend who rooted it in the first place.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1237381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice