Root Password for Mandrake Linux 9.1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abeer_d

Hi,
I got a PC assembled a few days back and got Mandrake Linux 9.1 installed on it.

However the assembler forgot to give me the root password he had set up during the installation.

Is there anyway I can get the password without asking the assembler for it?

Thank you.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
If you boot with a Loaf disk you would do something like this.

(1) Get one of the mini-linux distributions (http://www.toms.net/rb/ or http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/superrescue/v2/)
and boot up off that.

(2) manually mount the partition that contains the root file systems

(3)Find and edit the file /etc/shadow

FYI: Given a shadow file entry like:

root:$1$7Mâ5ºl8o$qUT7nwuswQLwNObmc.r8a1:11874:0:99999:7:::

changing that to read:

root::11874:0:99999:7:::

will remove root's passwd. You are basically removing everything between the first set of colons.

When you rebooted your system you can set a password for root with 'passwd root'.

Another method if you have the 'pw' command.. i dont know if your distro does or now.. but once you mount it

pw -V /mnt/etc usermod username_here -h fd

and you should see:
bash-2.05b# pw -V $tgt/etc usermod root -h fd
New password for user root:

Why cant you ask the "assembler" for the password?
I've caught hell for telling people how to crack open root accounts.
And according to this:
# Other Illegal Activities - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advise on using illegal software, as it will be removed.
It may apply to this question.
lynch(the stick in the mud:) )

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Well if it is not there own system then hopefully the owner of the computer has the bootloader password protected and the bios set not to boot from other devices and password protected.

abeer_d

Don't worry, i am no hacker.The assembler's out of town.

Though going by the looks of the replies(i am a linux newbie so they are all greek to me) I think I would have to ask the assembler in the end :p

Anyways I will try to try out your suggestions and get back .

Thanks for the help.

See you ppl soon :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online