1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Root User Change

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Reeder0101, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reeder0101

Reeder0101 Thread Starter

Hello. I have windows 8 with the upgrade. I bought this computer from someone who reinstalled the operating system so he could sell it. The root user name is John Doe. I adjusted settings and tried to rename with my name however the ROOT user is still John Doe. I've heard I can create a new account and "move" all my files to my new account, thus essentially renaming the computer. I've heard all that changes is the "pointer". I'm fairly tech savvy so this is a bit embarassing, but this is something I have no experience with. Could someone please tell me exactly which files I need to move so I can delete the "John Doe" user? I'm a bit nervous about messing things up. Please give a brief walk-through if you would.

Thanks!
    :)

2. Reeder0101

Reeder0101 Thread Starter

Hello:

Any advice please?

Thanks

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Instead of moving I'd copy and then delete the original after making sure the copy had succeeded. But that's just me being risk adverse. You probably want all your personal data files. There is some AppData (data for applications) that can be copied.

After you've run for about a week without needing to copy something else you can probably delete the old User Account. But there's really no hurry.

4. davehc

davehc David Retired Trusted Advisor

Not sure why you tried , at that stage, to "rename" the account. Too late possibly, now, but I would have just created a new user and got on with it.

What files do you want to move? Have you installed anything, or created any private docs/files. If not, see my first sentence.
    Presumably the Installed OS is activated (?).

If you are happy with your new account, just delete the others, through the Control panel - User accounts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129697