1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rosewill External Case RX30-U2FAB Ques.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doogdoog, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I just received my Rosewill External case RX30-U2FAB that I bought from NewEgg and it did not come with an installation CD that contains the drivers. I installed a Maxtor Ultra series 100G ,7200rpm hdd and my OS is Win98se. I am using a usb 1.1 and my computer will not recognize the hdd. I tried downloading the driver Rx30-u2FA_fab.zip from the Rosewill site and my computer wizard does not recognize the driver. When I plug in the usb plug from the external drive, it comes up saying that the wizard has discovered a new device, atapi-6 bridge controller but it cannot locate the driver. It installs it in the device manager as other device and has a yellow question mark. Where can I get a driver for the ATAPI-6 bridge controller? TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Cases don't come with drivers because no one knows what you will end up putting in there.
    Drivers comes with MBs - maybe some HDs.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can usually find the drivers on their website, try checking the documentation closely for the info. For instance, on the Rosewill site, here's a direct link to the RX30 W98SE Drivers.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you extract the Rosewill drivers and run the SETUP program that comes with it? You'll likely need to remove the unknown device from Device Manager and unplug the enclosure before running the installation program.

5. JohnWill

Well, he said it didn't come with a driver disk. :)

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    But he did say he tried downloading it:

7. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I am still having problems with the driver. I originally downloaded the RX30-U2FA_FAB.zip file and unzipped it but I did not see any setup file in there. I plugged in the usb cord into the usb port and sometimes the new hardware wizard comes on and when it did, I directed it to the folder that contained the files and clicked ok. It said could not locate driver. I kept on trying over and over again (different ways) and the result was the same (ATAPI-6 Bridge Controller with a yellow question mark in the device manager). I removed it and unplugged the usb and started all over again and same results. I also downloaded the file rx30U2.zip with the link John gave me and unzipped it. There was a setup file, so I clicked on that and it said installation complete. I plugged in the usb cord and the wizard came on again so I went through the same thing and it said that it could not locate the driver again (I used the browse and directed it to the folder with the files) so I tried different ways again and even rebooted a couple of time and the problem was still there. I tried it on my other computer that is running XP Pro and it located it and set it up and it also made a small icon with an arrow in the tool tray so I know the drive and case is ok. Any thoughts?? Maybe I should get a different case to run with this computer with Win98SE and use the problem case for the computer with the XP Pro.TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're right, the driver for the RX30-U2FAB is different then the one Johnwil posted and the one I was refering to.

In the correct driver download for the RX30-U2FAB there are different files with no nice installation program.

Honestly, I don't know why its not working if you are pointing Windows to the CYPRESS_V601 folder.

9. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    Thanks for the reply. I guess this Rosewill case can't be used for this computer for some reason (wasted $99.00 + shipping) and this is the last time I will buy anything from them. Can't even get any support from them! One last question, reading the manual, it says that to create larger partitions, you need to use the DOS command under Win98SE or WinMe or change to NTFS format. What is the DOS command under Win98SE that could create a larger partition? The external drive that I have is about 120GB and I want to format that to fat32 (would I be able to copy NTFS files to the external drive formatted to fat32?) and when I tried the external drive on my other computer with XP Pro, it only gave me the NTFS option when I chose Primary partition. If I just wanted this portable drive to be only as a data drive, what partition would be better (primary or extended partition)? TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    FAT32 partitions get really inefficient when they start to get big. Thats why Windows XP only gives the option to use NTFS on drives/partitions larger then 32GB, but Windows 98/ME cannot access NTFS partitions. In Windows 98 you can use FDISK and FORMAT to partition and format the drive. You can also FDISK to split the drive into multiple partitions.

11. JohnWill

I always use extended partitions for external drives. No special reason, I just don't allocate primary partitions unless I plan on making the disk a bootable one.

12. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I wanted my external drive to be able to be used between my computer using Win98se and Win Xp Pro (Backing up files) so that's why I wanted fat32. If Win98 can only can go up to 32gb then that wouldn't be satisfactory for movie files. Maybe I should use two external cases, one fat32 and the other NTFS (what do you think?). Oh, I sent an email to Rosewill explaining the problem and the tech (I think it was a tech) said to and install it in the safe mode. I tried and it failed again, but I also tried it on my sons computer running win ME and it worked ok like my other XP Pro computer. It must be the Win98se that it doesn't like so I emailed Rosewell again but haven't received a reply yet. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

13. JohnWill

Windows 98 can handle at least 128gig partitions, I've done it here.

14. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha JohnWill,
    Thanks for the reply and I still haven't gotten a reply from the Rosewill company from my last email to them. I wonder if they haven't a fix or if they knew this was a problem all along. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/442497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice