Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotating .MOV Video Files

931 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I'm running 64 Bit Windows 10 Pro. Is there a free or low-cost program that can be used to rotate 90 degrees the contents of an MOV file and then save it back as an MOV file in the rotated format? I have read that Windows Movie Maker that was available with previous versions of Windows could do this, but is not available for Windows 10. The video editing functions of the Windows 10 Photo App do not seem to have that ability.

I am shooting some videos on my Canon PowerShot camera for viewing on a computer. Shooting with the camera rotated would make better use of the active video area.

#3 ·
I Googled a little bit before posting nothing jumped out of the results as being free and easy to use. I would rather not have to go through a 4-hour learning curve using editing software with storyboards, audio tracks, and assembling a video project just to rotate the contents of a video file.

#5 ·
VLC ... Tools > Effects filters > Video effects > Geometry > Transform > ... etc ...
Thank you for the instructions, Noyb.

I was able to rotate the video 90 degrees in the free VLC player but got stuck on how to save the rotated version. The Media tab has a "Convert /Save ..." menu option. Choosing that gives me a dialog box asking me to add a file to convert and nothing about saving the currently open file. Am I missing something obvious here?

#8 ·
As said, Rotate must be only a playback option ... Sorry, I didn't know that.
Could you use it as a Viewer for your rotated Videos ???

I use Adobe Premier Elements to edit videos ... and VLC to play DVD.iso files.

The latest versions of Adobe Premier Elements only work in W10.
The current version will probably be updated around September and sale prices should be showing up in a month or two.

I have used it rotate and clean up Phone pictures.
My older version in W7 will read and edit mov files .... It won't save mov ....
But I'd suggest saving in mp4.

You might want to get a trial version of APE and try it.

Sorry, it has along learning curve.
In APE, Rotate is called Transform.
You can do a lot more than just Rotate.

Attachments

#9 ·
Doh. I think found a solution to my problem and it was already installed on my computer. I had purchased a Nero 16 bundle a while ago for its audio and disc burning capabilities and forgot it also came with a video editor and DVD authoring tools as well. I tried it on a test file on my desktop and it was able to rotate the file and export it as an MP4 file. Now, I just have to figure out the location of the exported file. LoL

#10 ·
Another solution is to add the video files to iDealshare VideoGo
Click the "Effect" panel, in the pop-up window, move to the last three options in the middle part.
Adjust your QuickTime video through clicking "90 Clockwise", "Flip Horizontal", "Flip Vertical".
When get your desired video, please click "OK". And click Convert button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.