1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Rotating .MOV Video Files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cwwozniak, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I'm running 64 Bit Windows 10 Pro. Is there a free or low-cost program that can be used to rotate 90 degrees the contents of an MOV file and then save it back as an MOV file in the rotated format? I have read that Windows Movie Maker that was available with previous versions of Windows could do this, but is not available for Windows 10. The video editing functions of the Windows 10 Photo App do not seem to have that ability.

I am shooting some videos on my Canon PowerShot camera for viewing on a computer. Shooting with the camera rotated would make better use of the active video area.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I google for "movie editing software rotate feature" and it came up with a list of programs. Didn't go on to see which ones are free.

3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I Googled a little bit before posting nothing jumped out of the results as being free and easy to use. I would rather not have to go through a 4-hour learning curve using editing software with storyboards, audio tracks, and assembling a video project just to rotate the contents of a video file.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    VLC ... Tools > Effects filters > Video effects > Geometry > Transform > ... etc ...
    This will be a permanent change - until changed back.

I think you may need QuickTime to (re-save as) a *.mov ????
    I'd use mp4 for a computer.

I'm on W7 ... I assume this will work on W10.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you for the instructions, Noyb.

I was able to rotate the video 90 degrees in the free VLC player but got stuck on how to save the rotated version. The Media tab has a "Convert /Save ..." menu option. Choosing that gives me a dialog box asking me to add a file to convert and nothing about saving the currently open file. Am I missing something obvious here?

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm pretty sure the instructions provided only alter the playback.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I was afraid someone was going to say that. I can see where transcoding from one video format to another might be relatively easy as compared recoding columns of pixels into rows of pixels.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    As said, Rotate must be only a playback option ... Sorry, I didn't know that.
    Could you use it as a Viewer for your rotated Videos ???

I use Adobe Premier Elements to edit videos ... and VLC to play DVD.iso files.

The latest versions of Adobe Premier Elements only work in W10.
    The current version will probably be updated around September and sale prices should be showing up in a month or two.

I have used it rotate and clean up Phone pictures.
    My older version in W7 will read and edit mov files .... It won't save mov ....
    But I'd suggest saving in mp4.

You might want to get a trial version of APE and try it.

Sorry, it has along learning curve.
    In APE, Rotate is called Transform.
    You can do a lot more than just Rotate.

Attached Files:

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Doh. I think found a solution to my problem and it was already installed on my computer. I had purchased a Nero 16 bundle a while ago for its audio and disc burning capabilities and forgot it also came with a video editor and DVD authoring tools as well. I tried it on a test file on my desktop and it was able to rotate the file and export it as an MP4 file. Now, I just have to figure out the location of the exported file. LoL

plodr likes this.
  10. vincentkirkwoodnew

vincentkirkwoodnew

Another solution is to add the video files to iDealshare VideoGo
    Click the "Effect" panel, in the pop-up window, move to the last three options in the middle part.
    Adjust your QuickTime video through clicking "90 Clockwise", "Flip Horizontal", "Flip Vertical".
    When get your desired video, please click "OK". And click Convert button.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since the OP solved his problem in June, I doubt that he'll want to spend $29.99 for software he doesn't need.

cwwozniak likes this.
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice