1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rotten Apples...

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by sgtgrash, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgtgrash

sgtgrash Thread Starter

In the past I've had the utmost respect for Steve Jobs and Apple, but lately he seems to be having a crisis. Either he's going a touch mad, or he's single-handedly attempting to kill the Apple brand. By not allowing Flash content to to run on some of Apples products, he is isolating Apple users from a total internet experience. Without Adobe, Apple wouldn't be here now. I'm refering of course to Adobe Type Manager, without which in the past, Macs couldn't render fonts. In his 'Thoughts Of Flash' statement he more or less states that Adobe owed their existence to Apple. What rot. Steve, annoy Adobe and your consumers at your peril. This is no way to encourage increased market share... (n)

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Apple has always had control of their Hardware and Software, nothing new here, it was only a matter of time before he flexed his muscles against Adobe.

Flash is doomed in the streaming video market, only a matter of time.

If I were to guess it was Adobe's continual foot dragging on security vulnerability patches in their products that finally broke Apples back.

I don't think this move by Apple will make any difference in their market share growth.

3. sgtgrash

sgtgrash Thread Starter

1: People have been predicting the demise of Flash for a while now, yet it's still with us and as popular as ever.

2: Foot dragging concerning security patches isn't confined to Adobe. So who's next on Steves hitlist?

3: If one were to compare Microsoft and Apple to countries, Microsoft would be the US, Apple would be North Korea.

Third party developers are essential to the continued success and growth of any platform, so instigating draconian restrictions is surely counter-productive.

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

Do you work for Adobe? You sound like it. Flash is NOT the internet, it's only part of the internet, and a bad part. I hated flash ever since I first saw a flash-based website back in 1999. That's 11 years of thinking and KNOWING that flash is garbage. This is nothing new, this isn't an apple-lover issue, a TON of people hate flash.

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
  6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Just my 2 cents, alot of mobile devices have yet to add flash support, for instance to date i cannot find a sutible flash client for my motorola droid. Atcually i cant find one at all, unless im overlooking somthing, and most googleing i do suggessts a beta that i cant seem to find anywhere online or they are simply working on it, im really perplexed....

7. namenotfound

namenotfound

I'm glad to see that Microsoft will support HTML5, since they never supported XHTML1.1 and have limited support for XHTML1.0 This is a step in the right direction for them (y)

8. sgtgrash

sgtgrash Thread Starter

I'm not saying Flash is perfect, it definitely isn't. HTML5 is a step in the right direction, and no, i don't work for Adobe. All i'm trying to point out is that in not supporting Flash for now, Jobs seems to be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

I'm not an MS fanboi either, I'm of the opinion the market is strong enough to support more than one OS, and I DO like most of Apples products even though they are expensive compared to most of the competition (Not a great fan of iPods though, there are much better alternatives on the market e.g Archos). The reason my household contains 6 Windows devices is solely down to economics...

9. namenotfound

namenotfound

The only iPod I like is the Touch. I can't hassle with the stupid wheel they put on the Nano and Classic. The Shuffle just seems pointless to me, random songs, I like picking my song!

I own two Touches and they're great! Bought a couple of Nanos for my parents a few years ago as an anniversary gift, and I can't stand them. Stupid wheel...

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

11. paisanol69

paisanol69

....it's obvious that the blog writer has given some thought to the opinions posted there. I take exception to a basic premise that he is making his assumptions on...at least I hope the human race is not that stupid, anyway.

The reason I feel ( and hope ) he is mistaken is..security. I personally don't know anyone who is willing to give up their trust and privacy to an operation like say...Google, with all of their hard drive data residing on the internet. I dont care how much assurance Google gives me, wrg to their supposedly new OS designed for cloud computing, I don't, and won't EVER trust anyone with my personal data.
    Secondly...try to imigine for a moment, what the blog writer is envisioning for the future. The death of the PC and PC OS market, which will cause the following (not listed in the order of importance :D)

1. A severe downturn in the availability of home computers, due to a lack of demand, causing the technology now available to become much more costly, and less rapidly developed ( since the market has dried up)..hmmm I dont think so!

2. Security is a huge issue, since we all know that nothing is actually secure, even Linux is not completely secure, let alone firefox, as so many of the users of those systems would have you believe. Where there is a will, there is a way !

3. Trust: Do you really think you can trust Google, or anyone for that matter, with the absolute control/access to your data. You really think, that your government (place the name of your country here :)) ) will not eventually pass a law, giving them access to that data, in times of what they (your government) consider a national crises?

4. Last, but not the least, IMO.

....If you think the entertainment industry has gone overboard, wrt stopping the piracy of copyrighted materials and how that fight reflects on the "freedom and rights of the internet users" (READ YOU AND ME) just you wait until the cloud computing sheep users start getting hacked and/or attacked by all of those folks out there that consider it a game to infect you with malware, and it will happen, as frequently as it does now on your personal computer.

Once those said sheep users start getting attacked, they are going to demand from their providers that they receive better protection, in turn, granting the provider with greater powers of data control (remember, this will be in the name of "we need to do this, to provide you with the best security) which will lead to new laws for control/access/usage of what will then be called the internet, however, it won't be anything like what we now call the internet.

all I can say is....good luck with that, cause it surly won't come to be! If that is the future that Steve Jobs is predicting/basing his Companies future on, all I can say is, get rid of your Apple Products, cause there is a short lived future in sight for Apple!

12. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Wow, that's a lot of connections, paisanol69...Interesting thoughts on the cloud, which I use a bit, but still keep my own storage for my purposes, but I don't see how that's short-lived for Apple...After all they had the foresight to introduce computing to schools back in the 1980's.....And, they've been very good at knowing what people want...:cool:

13. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I've always thought of data farms - which is basically what all this airy fairy cloud stuff really is (and by no means a new idea) - as the equivalent of handing over your possessions to a spiv and asking him to look after them.

14. sgtgrash

sgtgrash Thread Starter

I'm in the same ballpark as Paisanol69:

"3. Trust: Do you really think you can trust Google, or anyone for that matter, with the absolute control/access to your data." - In short, no!!!

Governments are already bullying ISPs into releasing confidential information about their subscribers at the behest of the music, movie and games industries. The illegal downloading of entertainment media has opened a very large can of worms. It's entirely probable that governments will use any given world or local security crisis to justify snooping into our private data. The most efficient way to do this is via the web. Cloud computing can only increase the risk of unwanted intrusions, which is why I'd never use The Cloud. I'm fairly sure I am not alone in this, which is why healthy sales of fat client machines are likely to continue for the foreseeable future...

15. valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

I understand your frustration, but really Steve Jobs is not a complete idiot. Do you think he wants people hating Apple. NO. I'm telling you he has something up his sleeve. There is probably something that Apple is going to come out with in the future that they are working on right now that people have no clue about and Steve Jobs along with the marketing department of Apple is waiting to put flash on something else thats even better than the i pad so not only will they make millions of people buying the i pad, they know that everyone is still anticipating the release off something better with flash so then they will make millions more. So, believe me these people know what they are doing. They just want to keep you waiting a little.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice