1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

round and round

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wildepuzzles, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildepuzzles

wildepuzzles Thread Starter

Hi,
    The strangest thing has happened to my computer today. I normally don't have any problems with pop-ups, but this morning I was checking out some site called DVD box when a couple got by Zone alarm. When I got off I promptly started up adaware to check for anything, found nothing aside from Alexa, and then went to Cyberscrub and began cleaning up my traces in case I got revisited by the pop-up or it's relatives. I only instructed Cyberscrub to delete traces, and when it went to reboot the computer all hell broke loose. Ever since the restart I've been caught in an endless loop that keeps repeating the same process - It starts up, desktop and icons appear, then error boxes start popping up stating that certain processes have failed and will be shut down. The routine is as follows -
    1) Error for overclock.exe - ending
    2) WCES Mgr.exe - DLL initialization failed
    3) vsmon.exe - DLL initialization failed
    Ink monitor failed - shutting down

It then shuts down the computer, reboots, and does the same thing again. If I try and run any programs, like Norton AV, error messages pop up saying the processes cannot start because the computer is shutting down.

I tried reinstalling XP thinking that perhaps Cyberscrub had removed essential files or folders, but the reinstallation did nothing, with the exception that it at least initiated some pop-up inquiries from Zone alarm that froze the shutdown process so that I could get some stuff I'd been working on saved on a a jazz tape.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on with my computer, because I just cannot fix it - I've had to shut down the computer to stop it going round and round. Has cyyberscrub done something it shouldn't have, or has a virus somehow crept by zone alarm and Norton AV and zapped my computer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tim

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

HouseCall
    Panda
    RAV AntiVirus Online
    eTrust Antivirus Scanner Choose one of these links and do an on line virus scan .

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Sorry Go here to Rollin Rogs Security tools and choose and do on line scan . Let us know if this helps

4. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice