Rounded rectangle selection in Photoshop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plejon

I want cut a rectangular piece out of a photograph, but the corners should be rounded.

I'm looking for the effect of the Rounded Rectangle Tool, but in the Marquee tool. I tried using the "feather" option of the Rectangular Marquee, but this results in a gradient from my picture to the background. I want to have a sharp edge, not a feathered one.

I'm using Photoshop CS

Layout your rectangle as you want it and then go to the menu bar and Select> Modify> Smooth and choose your radius.

This was done with Elements, but I think it will be the same for CS.

Attachments

Make the shape using the Rounded Rectangle tool, if just using a non-filled path then go to the paths palette, right click on the path thumbnail and choose Make selection.
In the case of using a filled vector shape, then hold down ctrl+leftclick on the shape thumbnail.

plejon

xgerryx, this seems to be an Elements only technique.

Lister, your solution works fine and gives me the desired result. Thanks for the tip.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online