1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Routed Is Dead For My Computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SaVioRz, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SaVioRz

SaVioRz Thread Starter

After 2 years of working... it stops..

My wireless 3com router only works for the computer in the basement along with the router and the comcast box.. which my computer is 2 stories up... and it no longer gets ANY connection what so ever... while the one down in the basement works fine.

Help me! :(

2. jmwills

jmwills

Wireless or wired connection to the machine that does not work? Please post the results of an ipconfig /all for both machines.

3. SaVioRz

SaVioRz Thread Starter

Ok well this computer I'm currently using gets a "very good" connection.

And for mine.. sometimes 70% of the time it says cannot find a router connection in the area.. not word for word.. but along that meaning... and all that comes up is something called jain.. which I have no idea what it is..

My friends tell me to just move the router to the highest floor (where the one that has no connection) and try it like that wireless.. or just try a wire to both from the router..

I need PROFESSIONAL advice.. I'm sick of not having internet. This is not even my computer.

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

I can tell you right now that you are most likely to far from the router to make the connection.

You need to work on maybe moving the router to the first floor of the house so that it is positioned equally between the two machines. Also I set the polarity of the Antennas(if they are adjustable, most are) to be horizontal. This way the signal will be broadcast effectively up and down.

You can also try lowering the broadcast rate to like 22Mbps, the lower you throttle the speed the further the range you will get(This should not effect your internet speed, you have cable so you will not be getting any faster then 12Mbps on the public side).

:)

Oh yeah,

Move any cordless phone bases and hand sets away from the computer and from in between the router and the computer!

5. SaVioRz

SaVioRz Thread Starter

Alright but wireless or not wireless and I did not get what you meant on the second part at all the "Move any cordless..." part?

6. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Pretty simple...
    Move any cordless phones AWAY from the computer and router. This includes the Phones base station, you know the thing you rest the phone in to charge.

Of course the only applies if you have a cordless phone.

Cordless phones also transmit wireless radio waves and tend to interfear with WiFi transmissions especialy if your phone is 2.4Ghz

Even better to totaly power off all the cordless phones and see if that improves the functionality any more.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice