1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router acting strangely

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Whiteninja89, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteninja89

Whiteninja89 Thread Starter

Uusally I have to unlpug and replug my router every week becuase it quits working (Timeouts for web sites, etc.) So I did this earlier today and everything seemed to work fine but I am now unable to access its functions (by typing its IP address and using a login/pass)
    Also, using ipconfig, it now shows me my ISP and the real ip address from our ISP rather than that the router gives me. The same thing shows up on another pc connected to it. The router is a linksys wirelss-g model WRT54G.
    Anyone care to explain what's going on here?

Edit: I took a closer look at the ip address it gives me and its slightly different on the two systems, but its still not the 192.168.... stuff that the router gives out.

2. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Power off the PC.

Power off the modem and router for about 30 sec. to 1 min. (Unplug them if you have to.)

Power up the modem. Wait for the LEDs to reach their normal ready-for-service display.

Power up the router.

Power up the PC.

Now see if you can get into the routers settings.

If that don't let you get into the routers settings

There should be a reset button on the back. (My be a hole that you have to use a paper clip to reset it.)

Press and hold the Reset button for about five to 30 seconds. (Usaually the lights blink to amber then back to green on mine.)

That should reset the Router to its default settings.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that you moved the connection from the broadband modem from the WAN port of the router to one of the LAN ports. Also, for each machine, how about this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

4. Whiteninja89

I didnt want to post the results so heres the txt file itself. I havn't touched the router yet becasue my sister would start to get mad at me for disconecting the internet again.

Attached Files:

5. JohnWill

As expected, it appears you have the broadband modem plugged into a LAN port, not the WAN port.

6. Whiteninja89

Only 5 ports on the back one says "internet" and the other four are lan ports. I have the modem plugged into "internet" and 3 comps are pluged into the lan ports, It has always been this way all I did was unplug the power every so often. The annoying thing is that the wireless function will not work anymore either.
    If this thing's broken then that will make it no. 4 of the routers we've gone through over past couple of years.

I might not be able to respond soon because I'm gonna get a new router (yet again)

7. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

The cable from the broadband modem should go to the one that says "Internet", and the ones going to your computer should be plugged into the LAN Ports.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Before buying a new router, do what VirtualMe suggested:

"There should be a reset button on the back. (My be a hole that you have to use a paper clip to reset it.)

Press and hold the Reset button for about five to 30 seconds. (Usaually the lights blink to amber then back to green on mine.)

That should reset the Router to its default settings."

Sometimes it seems routers need to be "refreshed" as above. Also, routers are computers with Operating Systems; like all OSes they have bugs that lead to corruption that leads to undesirable behaviour. Restarting the router will clean up a lot of the mess, just as restarting Windows does. If you are being forced to restart once a week, consider doing it more often.

9. JohnWill

I'm somewhat confused, since the IP address you're getting appears to be a public IP address, not the private IP address that would be assigned by the router.

I've never seen a router simply stop acting like a router and still maintain a connection, but I suppose anything's possible. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice