1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brbrown, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brbrown

brbrown Thread Starter

I use an XP computer with a Talktalk Smartax MT882 router and a hub to connect my Vista laptop and my wife's Windows 7 Computer via ethernet cables. My contract with Talktalk is for 10Mbs downloads and speed tests show around 9.7Mbs. However, when downloading on my XP, I only achieve around 385Kbs and sometimes, the downloads freeze and I loose my connection if I try again. Downloads on the Vista and W7 are faster. Talktalk refuse to offer help regarding the router as they do not support it even though they supplied it. Can any one please offer suggestions as what might be causing the problem and solutions? Would an updated 802.11n router help?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Is XP on wireless? If its not wireless, then the wireless spec does not matter (b/g/n).

If its hard wired, have you tried running directly to the modem? Same speeds?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice