1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router and modem site

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dingus, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi there, I've just recently installed a d-link modem and also a router, both manufacturers give sites for configuring these.

http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.1.1

Both of these sites come up unavailable even although both companies tell me they are good addresses.
    I've tried to access these from 2 different computers and also different browsers.

HELP :D

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Dingus,

They're not DNSs (URLs) for the internet, but for local networks...

See here for more info.

http://www.samspade.org/t/dns?a=192.168.0.1

These must be the IPs they've assigned between your router and the modem. In this case I would go to the manufacturer's website, and look for info there, or if you post back with that info here, then we'll see what we can find out for you.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks E-Liam, I'll see if that info helps me. :D

4. atconc

atconc

your router and modem are trying to work on different subnets at the moment which means they are not going to be able to work together.

192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 192.168.x.x is a reserved IP range for LANs the 0 and the 1 designate 2 seperate subnets, which essential operate as two seperate networks unless some sort of bridge is used.

You need to disconnect 1 or the other from the network temporaily and then configure the device that is still connected to the network to work on the other subnet - eg if the router is on the 192.168.1.x and the modem is on 192.168.0.x disconnect the router, reboot ur computer so it picks up the network settings from the modem, enter the modem set up using ur browser at http://192.168.0.1 configure the modem to use an ip address in the 192.168.1.x range (not 192.168.1.1 though as this is already assigned to the router) you will also need to disable DHCP on one of the devices (assuming the both work as a DHCP server) or else they will conflict.

Sorry this got a bit technical, if you need futher explaination of anything let me know

5. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

atconc, I'll pretend I know exactly what your on about and "No complicated at all", then I'll go and think "What the........... is that all about"
    Having pondered over your post, It's the router that my PC won't communicate with but I assume it's the same solution.
    Both devices are DHCP and the router (Linksys WRT54G) has the address 192.168.0.1

For the moment many thanks :D

Laim, I now understand it's not an URL, silly me, I'm picking all this up as I go. The manufacturer's info was as useful as the proverbial chocolate ash tray. The site you posted was however.

I've been told that I must remove all dial-ups (Which I was keeping as a backup) from the PC before I can get things working and that I must use hardwire for my first router configuration, is this true? :confused:

6. atconc

atconc

you shouldn't have to remove the dial ups, just got to internet options and choose "never dial a connection" in the connections tab. On our router you had to use hardwire first as the wireless connection is not enabled by default.

It sounds like the DHCP server in ur modem is providing the set up for the network card in ur comp, which is why you can't communicate with the router. I would think it would be best to let the router be the DHCP server for the network.

Try this:

First remove the router from the network temporially

go into your modem setup on 192.168.1.1 and find the network settings, see if you can set it to a static IP address in the 192.168.0.x range (192.168.0.2 would make sense) also look for the option to disable DHCP for the modem.

once you've done this and saved the settings power down the modem, reconnect the router and reboot your computer. Your computer should now pick up an ip address from the router (I'm assuming you have the default "obtain an IP address automatically" set up for your network card) check that you can now communicate with the router on 192.168.0.1 - if you now can view the router setup then you should power down your pc again (to make sure it doesn't get assigned a conflicting IP with the modem) add the modem back to the network and then power up the pc again and all should be working.

If you still have problems then post the model number and make of the modem and router here and i'll try and help futher.

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

atconc, Ta again,
    I ain't tried your suggestions yet but I shall asap, in the meen time however let me give you my setup,
    Windows XP home edition, Linksys router WRT54G, D-link modem and Belkin pci cards. I did only have wireless but after I was told I would need to use cable for the first config I removed the wireless PCI and replaced it with an Ethernet card and cable (Incidentally should this be crossover or straight through).

The WRT54G (Wireless) has 4 Ethernet sockets and 1 phone socket at the back.
    I'm puzzled as to how I go into the modem setup without the router powered up.
    The way it's setup at the moment is, PC--- Router--- Modem---Telephone socket, as per the documentation, which also tells me the sequence to power up, ie Modem then router then PC.

I'll post again when I've tried your last post. :confused:

8. atconc

atconc

do you have the model number of the dlink modem are we talking dial up, DSL or cable here?

I'm getting a better idea of your set up and what you need to do now.

The cable should be straight not cross over, although the router will work with either as it has auto uplink, not too sure about the modem until i have some more info on it.

The 'phone' port of the router is still a normal network port i think. the phone symbol means its the WAN port (the port that should connect to the modem.

So try this - connect the comp straight into the the modem and configure it so that you get a working internet connection.

Disconnect the the modem from the computer and power down the computer, leave the modem on, plug it into the phone (wan) port of the router, then connect the computer to one of the Lan ports on the router and turn on the router.

Turn on the computer and see if you can log into the router. Hopefully you'll be able to log into the router and it'll have picked up the modem is working. From this point on it's a matter of seeting up the wireless network how you want it and you shuold have a working system.

I should have clarified how things were connected earlier, sorry about that, hope this helps

9. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

atconc hello again, The modem is a D-link 300G+

10. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

OK back with another hiccup, I've installed an Ethernet card so I can configure the modem direct (cable) but the problem I'm getting now is that the PC is giving the LAN card an address of 0.0.0.0 which is assigned by DHCP, this causes a fault reported as 'bad address'. I've tried changing this to user assigned but not knowing the correct don't help none.

PHEW thank god thats over.
    Any suggestions on this one.

11. atconc

atconc

it sounds like ur modem isn't working as a dhcp server

You can set a manual address of 192.168.1.x (where x a number between 2 and 254) 3 would be perfect :) set sub net mask to 255.255.255.0 (it'll probably do that automatically though)

that should let you get into the modem set up and configure it

HTH

12. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

atonic hi, I'm posting just in case you think I've dissapered.
    Your suggestion got me on the right track. I tried different addresses for the config and after trying 'till my brain was numb I finally accessed the modem using 198.162.0.250 for the ethernet card. (Manually only works)
    Then with the modem manufacturers address of 192.168.0.1 and bingo it worked.

Unfortunately that's not the end of it. At the moment all looks OK but I still can't connect or ping out. My ISP tells me I have a firewall stopping me, which I know I ain't got, so I'm waiting on them investigate where the connection stops. Once I get this working I'll then try the wireless stuff again.

I'll keep you posted.

13. atconc

atconc

let me know how you get on :)

14. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Atonic, (You are) Things progress, I have configured the router using address 162.168.1.1 and to configure the modem I used 192.168.0.1 Finally my LAN card is on 192.168.0.250
    You'll see the there is a mismatch. Can you suggest how I get them all working on the same? :confused:

When I try to connect to the modem through the router I hit a brick wall.

15. play1998

play1998

so right now you can't get on line ???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice