1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router and networking help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NewElemenT, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewElemenT

NewElemenT Thread Starter

I need help, please. I am a network newbie. I am having major problems with a local network. I reside at an extended stay hotel and the manager added broadband internet but cannot add a wired connection to each room. The manager decided to use routers. The connection is setup as follows:
    modem -> main router (Netgear) -> senao router -> other router
    the main router was hijacked by a resident. I offered to help with the setup of a new router. I have administration login and control of the router. The router works fine but now it seems as though the other routers may be hijacked. I am not trained enough to recognize what is happening. I need someone to explain to me what is happening with this setup.
    Here is what I am seeing:
    Everyday someone is connected with what a device listed as being an Android in the router. Third-party tools show it as a Samsung Electronics device. The mac address is always the same but it has multiple ip addresses that I cannot ping. I am aware that Vista and Windows 7 cannot be pinged by default. I am concerned that this person has attached a modem to the network and is stealing bandwidth or this person has hijacked the other routers somehow. I cannot make sense out of what I see in the log files versus the attached devices.
    Today, the log file shows this entry:
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.86] to MAC address 8c:64:22:4a:e4:dc, Tuesday, November 29,2011 08:37:45
    the attached devices:
    192.168.1.15 8C:64:22:4A:E4:DC UA105341346
    there is no .1.86 connected PLUS I am listed as a wireless intruder?
    I do not know enough about networking to know what they are doing and how to stop them from doing whatever it is that they do. I am administrator of the main router and the modem so if there is something that I can do from here, then please advise.
    the Manager is Russian and he knows less about networking and he seems to ignore me about the other routers and almost thinks that if the internet is on then the routers work. I showed him that the routerlogin.net is how they break in using default passes. He let me change the pass of this new router and configure it for him. I need to conivince him to let me configure the other routers too but until then, what is happening here and what can I do to combat the intruders?
    Thank you for reading and Have a great day.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Obviously all routers should have a non-default login password, known only to the owner and administrator.

If the hijackers or intruders have physical access to the router there is no way to protect it. If the hijackers or intruders are residents there is little you can do. If they are outsiders then secure the wireless network(s) with WPA-PSK TKIP encryption; when you or the owner tell the passphrase to the other residents make sure they understand that they are to share that passphrase with nobody else.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice