1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router (and or modem) blocking all incoming connections...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by remastered, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remastered

remastered Thread Starter

Ok I've been mentally tearing myself apart over this all day, just cant get round it, figured it was time to ask for help. Before I go any further I'll introduce you to my equipment and how it is setup:

Router:

Version Info
    Belkin 54g
    Firmware Version
    Boot Version
    Hardware Version
    F5D7231-4

Modem:
    SmartAX MT882 - Provided by my ISP (TalkTalk)
    Firmware Release - E.37.5.5

Setup - My modem is connected directly to my belkin 54g router. My router and modem are in the Lounge area in my home. My computer is upstairs in my bedroom, I use a Belkin wireless card that matches my router to connect to the internet VIA my router.

I also own a laptop, but I will not go into this, as it is not entirely relevant to the problem.

The internet is working ABSOLUTELY fine, with no hiccups or problems here. THIS IS NOT where my problem lies.

Problem:

I cannot run ANY server applications under windows or linux (this includes, HTTPD's, SSHD's, FTPD's, IRCD's etc....) I have tried everything (atleast I think so anyway?). I tried placing my computer in the DMZ of my router (yes im 100% sure I got the IP right.) I have tried port-forwarding, but still with no luck. I get "DoS Protection" errors in my router firewall log when trying to connect to my server. However there are some things I find strange. My router displays this on the first page:

Internet Settings

Connection Type
    Dynamic
    Subnet mask
    Wan IP
    Default gateway
    DNS Address

Surely my WAN address should be my external IP? Within my network, my routers IP is 192.168.1.1 - I can connect to and configure my MODEM by using this IP (http://192.168.1.1) , but also when I enter my external IP, I am taken to this modem config page. However, this page is NOT accesable to anyone outside the network using my external IP - or private ip for that matter (duh?!?) I asked a few friends to try, just incase. I am trying to run a webserver on my computer - Local IP 192.168.2.2 - I set up the appropriate port-forwarding in my router settings - but with no luck, external users get a connection timed out error, but I can view my webserver pages using http://localhost.

I also setup netcat to listen on port 202, I setup appropriate port forwarding to forward incoming connections on port 202, to my Local ip - 192.168.2.2 on port 202 - I than ran a telnet session to 192.168.2.2 on port 202, and saw this in console:

listening on [any] 202 ...
    Warning: forward host lookup failed for Harper01.Belkin: h_errno 11001: HOST_NOT
    _FOUND
    connect to [192.168.2.2] from Harper01.Belkin [192.168.2.2] 5313: HOST_NOT_FOUND

If I try to telnet to 202 using my external dynamic IP provided by my ISP (the one I recieve when visiting www.whatsmyip.org) I simply get a connection error.

But what is extremely weird, if I http://89.241.242.41 (my external ip) I again end up at my MODEM config page. And if I telnet to 89.241.242.41 on port 23, I can access my modem config from there:

Welcome

Software Release V200R002B021 Opal
    Copyright (c) 2001-2004

login:

If anyone can explain to me where I have gone wrong, and how I can configure my modem/router to allow incoming connections, and forward them properly to the appropriate applications... well, there are no words to describe how appreciative I would be. I really have no idea what is going on here.7

Just incase I confused anybody, a list of my ips are:

Modem Ip : 192.168.1.1
    Router Ip : 192.168.2.1
    External Ip: 89.241.242.41

Thanks.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Oddly enough a work colleague had precisely the same problem trying to hook up his Talk Talk. Same SmartAX but to a Linksys wireless reouter.

First up: the SmartAX MT882 is not simply a modem: it is named the "SmartAX MT882 ADSL Router". So it is in fact a router. So you have two routers being hooked up in series. Therein lies your problem.

You want to be using a configuration of the two routers frequently posted on this forum by JohnWill. I included it here to save you looking for it:

In this situation you are using the SmartAX as an ADSL Gateway router and the Belkin as, basically, a switch (no router funcationality) albeit with a wireless access point function.

Alternatively you can configure the SmartAX to act as a pure modem (no router capability) and then use the Belkin as a router as intended.

Which way you go is up to you: to me it would depend on which router had the richer set of capabilities and I would configure up around it retaining it's router role. But the JohnWill solution is probably the easier one to go with if you are unsure of how to configure up the alternative.

When you have successfully got the two devices working togther then you need to set up port-forwarding only on the device you are using as the router (which is also your DCHP server).

3. remastered

Thanks alot for the reply, going to try this right now, im a bit tired so it might take me a while to get my head round it :) but ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Oh and no not im not the lazy type that wont look for an answer before asking, I just didnt recognise the above solution as relevant, because I really didnt know my modem was also a router ^^ well we learning something new every day eh? :p

4. remastered

Ok so, my Belkin has to be my secondary, since I need the wirless functionality. The other does not provide this. But im starting to wonder, do I even need the router from TalKTalk? Or can I just put everything through the belkin router?

Anyway, I tried the solution above, both routers are in the subnet 255.255.255.0

My Belkin has DHCP server disabled, my belkin IP is 192.168.2.1 my SmartAX IP is 192.186.1.1 ...

The SmartAX covers the DHCP range 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.65.

I didnt change my computer IP though, its still 192.186.2.2 which is also outside the DHCP range. Connections are still being blocked, should I put this inside the DHCP range?

I also read another post by John, he said the primary router should be the unsecured one, and the secondary the secured one, so I disabled all firewall settings on the SmartAX, including the DoS Protection and all of the IP filters. And still nothing.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The wireless router can be the secondary, the solution will still work.

6. remastered

Well ill mess around with it at the weekend, too late now to be running up and downstairs changing cables or pressing the reset button if I break something , everyones in bed :p

7. coulterp

coulterp

255.255.255.0 is just the subnet mask.
    It is actually 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 together that constitute your subnet.

So ...
    .. your Belkin does not lie within the SmartAX subnet!

Give the Belkin an IP of 192.168.1.2 (i.e. in the SmartAX subnet), either manually or force it as a DHCP client to pick it up from the SmartAX.
    The SmartAX covers the DHCP range 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.65. (you would need to make the range start at .1.2 if you wanted the Belkin to pick up .1.2 by DHCP). If you manually set the Belkin to have .1.2, then don't worry about altering the SmartAX DHCP range.

As above: the PC does not lie within the SmartAX subnet! Which will likely account for the lack of connectivity.
    You really want your PC to pick up an IP address by DHCP, from your SmartAX, thus it would pick up an address in the range 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.65 under you current configuration. Either ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew or reboot the PC, to get a new LAN IP address from the (SmartAX) DHCP server.
    Alternatively manually set your PC to use IP address 192.168.1.66 (say) - just outside the DHCP range. In fact you just might want to do this anyway, considering you want to have the PC be a HTTP, SSHD, FTP, etc, server. Thus your PCs LAN IP is not changing (as it could do with DHCP) and your server(s) is(are) always reachable at the (static) LAN IP address the port-forward rules apply to.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice