1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router and Repeater passwords

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RaymondB, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaymondB

RaymondB Thread Starter

If I add a password to a router that has never had one, do I just add the same password to another router that I am using as a repeater or wireless access point? They are connected by Ethernet cable and currently configured in this manner and working without the password, but I want to secure my WiFi and be able to use light bulbs and outlets that usually require this passwords.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

That's what I do to keep things simple ... use the same password for 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz on the main router as well as 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz on the WiFi extender upstairs. IOW the same WiFi password for around the entire house.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  3. RaymondB

RaymondB Thread Starter

Thanks!

So it’s as simple as logging in to each router via a laptop and adding the same password? No rebooting/unplugging or other steps?

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I logged into our Main Router downstairs and changed the password on both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz WiFi to match each other. When I was done, the router rebooted itself.

I logged into our WiFi Extender and changed the password on both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz WiFi to be the same as upstairs. When I was done, the extender rebooted itself.

I then had to log into everything we own*, one-by-one, and reset their password(s) for both the 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz WiFi access.

(* Including: Smart TV's, NVR, Outdoor and Indoor Cameras, Front and Back door Doorbells, Alarm System, Smart Light Bulbs, Switches and Receptacles, Alexa(s), Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, AIO, NAS, *ix Servers, NUC, Desktop Computers, etc.).

5. RaymondB

RaymondB Thread Starter

Great help. That’s what I was after. Appreciate it!

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) You're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice