1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router and Teleconferencing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by verbalista, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

Is there a brand of cable router that definitely works (perhaps with special configuration) with teleconferencing programs like NetMeeting and CUseeme? SMC is what I have and it is hopelessly glitched, keeps promising new "firmware" that never appears on its site. I know my Quickcam works, it sends but I can't receive and have checked all other possible causes of my problem, in fact, was teleconferencing just fine before we networked out computers and went to cable access. Thanks, you experts out there, for any help you can give me!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Perhaps your router has some kind of firewall enabled that is blocking incoming requests on a certain port. I have never heard of any router that would block this kind of traffic.......they are usually wide open in both directions.

3. verbalista

Yes, my router has firewall-like protections in place that are preconfigured and a glitch that prevents disarming them (no access to DMZ host). It's an SMC wireless barricade awbr7004. I need to know of someone who actually is using another brand of router that is actually networked and teleconferencing without a problem with NetMeeting and/or CUseeme. Thanks for your help! Shoshana

4. Rockn

Rockn

If it's a glitch then the manufacturer should maek it right or give you a replacement that will do what you want it. Sounds like they are blowing smoke or the tech doesn't know what he is doing. Look for a Cisco, 3Com, or one of the larger manufacturers.

5. verbalista

Thanks! I'll try one of the routers you suggest if the solution I'm about to try doesn't work: give both our networked PCs their own fixed IPs for the router (not the cable itself, which is dynamic) and see if the DMZ host will stay checked and be saved. Though the SMC tech didn't know it, there's a chance that the router couldn't free my outlet of the cable because it didn't know which of our two computers to free. Planning to try new config Weds. am. Appreciatively, Shoshana

6. angel

angel

I agree with Rockn (again!). There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to open those ports. I've only used Linksys and Netgear routers which both had the capability. That a basic feature that should be available to you.

7. verbalista

Thanks, Angel..I'm feeling much more secure about demanding more from SMC, and glad to know that there are routers that do this! I'll let you all know what happens. Shoshana

8. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

all the router should be able to let you open certain port.

you just have to fine out the ports that needs to be open to let you use the program behind the router.

9. verbalista

There's some kind of glitch in the SMC router that won't allow opening individual ports, though I know which ports are used by netmeeting, I can't get it that way. I just learned of a way to allow my computer to be a DMZ Host (before, the router wouldn't allow that, either)and plan to try out the router very soon with my family in California, 3000 miles away. Thanks for your input.

10. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

get a firmware upgarde if there is any, if not, the router is usless,

11. verbalista

Did get the firmware upgrade at once, months ago. Checked, there's nothing new now. I think SMC is just not supporting this unit, as another is scheduled to be introduced. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy another router. A few have been suggested in these threads. Thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice