1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router antenna (many walls)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zanoza, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

Hello,
    Basically I'm looking for an antenna for this router http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/MR814v2.asp
    It's pretty old, so I thought that might change something.
    Anyways, I live in a dorm, so I need to go through like 4 or 5 walls to reach the router, and Im getting really crappy signal, even though the room is only 30-40 feet away.
    Any suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a number of walls, you may need to boost the signal several ways.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think I'd rather have a signal booster and a 15dB antenna myself. ;)

5. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I concure whole heartedly with you JohnWill;) , I just noticed that the op was in a dorm, so I thought that may be cash money may have been a problem. And the funny thing about it is I thought the Windsurfer was a joke also, but it worked for me in my situation(one of not having extra cash), and took the very poor signal strength I had, and not even letting me connect to the internet, and boosted my signal to the max. Now, this may not work in every situation, it just happens that it worked in mine, and was free, and took me about 20 minutes. I have more time than money, so it was right up my alley, if it worked, great, if it didn`t, I lost 20 minutes of my time, no big deal.:D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice