1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router blocking incoming e-mail?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by swifte, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swifte

swifte Thread Starter

I am running Win XP, Outlook Express 6.0, and a home network with a Linksys router. All of a sudden, I cannot receive incoming e-mail even though I have pinged the POP3 server and know that I am connecting. I can go off network and access it via dial-up, so I know that something in my router configuration is causing the problem. I have not installed any new software, changed the router configuration, or done anything else, so have no idea why this problem has started. The technical support people at my ISP had me reconfigure my e-mail account from scratch, re-set the router, etc. - all with no solution to the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jrom727

jrom727

If you suspect your router causing the issue, try adjusting your enabling your MTU settings to 1492 or make sure MTU is set to 1492.

*Connect to the Router by opening a web browser and entering http://192/168.1.1 or the IP address of the Router.
    *Enter the password if asked (default is "admin").
    *Click Advanced and select the Filters tab.
    *Look for the MTU option and select Enable. In the Size: field, enter the appropriate MTU (e.g. 1492).
    *Click the Apply and Continue buttons to complete the task.

*Notes:
    If difficulties persist, change the Size: to different values. Try the following list of values, one value at a time, in this order, until the problem is solved: 1462, 1400. See MTU Ping Test for information on determining the optimal MTU.

If this steps doesn't match what you have. Look it up on the linksys website on how to enable and change your MTU settings

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice