1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router blocking one certain website

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nvrsummer2, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2 Thread Starter

I hope this belongs here,

I cannot access one certain website from my home. None of my computers or iPhone can access this one site. Yet no problems from outside my home network.

The router is a Verizon Westell A90 1900EM15. Pretty standard verizon router out here.

I reset it to defaults, and also tried the lowering of MTU settings by increments of 10 till I got to 1400..

Still get browser saying it cannot find website.

2. schang626

schang626

what web site?

what error message are u getting?

3. nvrsummer2

website is http://e-grants.ed.gov

Error is the browser not loading it. Getting the 'diagnose connection problems' screen in IE, on multiple devices

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Do you work for the government?

Welcome to the U.S. Department of Education

You must read the statement below, and click "Continue" to access the Department of Education's e-Grants website. Some users may need to scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the "Continue" button.

This is a United States Department of Education computer system, which may be accessed and used only for official Government business by authorized personnel. Unauthorized access or use of this computer system may subject violators to criminal, civil, and/or administrative action.

This system contains personal information protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. ยง 552a -- as amended. Violations of the provisions of the Act may subject the offender to criminal penalties.

5. nvrsummer2

No but I qualify as an authorized person as I need documents from them. But cant even get to the home page from home network. Outside of network its all ok...

Regardless, one should be able to get to the home page

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

I'm wondering if it's an ISP issue.

7. nvrsummer2

The ISP and service is Verizon FIOS. My next door neighbor has the same thing and no problems. The only difference is the routers. He has an older one. different model

8. Bernardo

Bernardo

I don't see how it can be the router, especially if you are sure that you reset it completely.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try the IP address 160.109.63.207 in your browser. If the page loads (the one Bernardo copied) for you then there is some kind of DNS problem (router or ISP or whatever DNS server you are using). If it doesn't load then something in your router or ISP is blocking it.

10. nvrsummer2

I can ping the site with IP address...

But does not work when typing in IP to browser address bar

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Works for me in IE8 and Firefox 3.5.9. Do you have something set in your browser or an add-on to block or not trust the site maybe?

12. nvrsummer2

Yes, it works from outside this network. All machines, iPhones...etc cannot connect from this connection

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice