Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Router can't connect to internet during setup

819 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I've decided to set up a home network - my first attempt at setting up a network, but have run into a problem;
I've bought a Linksys HRT54GL routers and connected it to a Cisco EPC2325 modem. I run the setup wizard and everything is going well until the router tries connecting to the internet when a pop-up appears telling me that it can't connect to the internet and that i should try turning my modem off and on again.
This does not help.

All cables are connected correctly and the right lights are flashing on both the router and modem. The internet works fine when the router is removed.

What can i do?

I am using Windows 7

#2 ·
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2325.html#~userguides

Cisco Model DPC/EPC2325 DOCSIS Residential Gateway with Wireless Access Point User Guide
which most likely means its also a router anyway, which maybe why you are having a problem, as another router would need to be connected and setup differently - Page 22 shows a router IP to loginto the modem , so I'm certain this is the issue - see how to connect two routers together below

connect directly to the modem and post an ipconfig /all

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post :)

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.