1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Causing Disconnects?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CutieTaunie, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CutieTaunie

CutieTaunie Thread Starter

I replaced a very old router recently with a brand new Linksys BEFSR41 version 4.3 with the latest firmware, version 2.00.4 Build 7. At first it was fine, but the modem got disconnected once and since then I've been getting random disconnects from Ventrilo and on online game (WoW). I would think that it's a WoW issue, except that the disconnects happen from Ventrilo as well. My fiance and I play from the same router.

- We play next to eachother and only one of us disconnects at a time.
    - Disconnects are random, can stay in WoW but Ventrilo disconnects and vice versa.
    - Seems to occur at any time, but might be more frequent in the evening.

I've tried power cycling or whatever (disconnected modem, router, and the computers from power and then later plugged them back in). I've tried resetting the router to factory defaults and checked for firmware updates, but it already has the latest on the Linksys site.

I'm know how to log into the router, but I don't really know what to change to try and fix this issue. Please help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd be more inclined to believe this is the modem or the ISP rather than the router.

3. CutieTaunie

Well, the modem is an SB5101 SURFboard, it's definitely got a few years on it... I'm trying direct connect atm to see if I can reproduce the same issues without the router. I heard that it's possible that the router and modem may be having like... communication issues that are causing the disconnects? I don't know if that makes sense, or if that can even be fixed.

4. JohnWill

Well, anything's possible, but my inclination would be either the modem or the ISP. It could also be your interior wiring to the modem from the ISP service entrance.

5. CutieTaunie

I spent some time direct connected to the modem yesterday and didn't get any crashes. It might be hard to get a replacement modem if it's not producing any issues on it's own... could it really be my brand new router?

6. JohnWill

Quite possible. Have you upgraded to the latest firmware and reset to defaults and reconfigured. Rarely does a device come with the current firmware.

7. CutieTaunie

Yes, I've done all of that, unfortunately. This router does have the latest firmware... I downloaded it from the Linksys site only to find that it was already on there. I've reset the router using the button on the back of the modem for 30 seconds. I've disconnected everything (computers, router, modem) and left them off for a few minutes before connecting them all again. This is so frustrating.

8. schang626

schang626

I'm assuming you are hard wired.
    what os? x86 or 64?
    can you browse the web when you get disconnected from wow?

9. CutieTaunie

Yes, the router is not wireless... everything is connected with cords. When the disconnects happen, it's only one of the computers and it's usually just one thing that disconnects... Ventrilo will disconnect, WoW will stay online or vice versa, and you can still browse without an issue. There is no delay in reconnecting, I can always get back into the game or back into Ventrilo instantly.

Edit: Oops, forgot operating systems... my computer is Vista 64 bit, the other is Vista 32 bit.

Edit: The internet browsing is seeming to be slow at times now, too... blah.

10. schang626

schang626

are you using ventrilo x64 for your vista 64?

if so can you try using ventrilo x32

can you browse the web when you get disconnected from wow/vent?

11. CutieTaunie

The 32 bit system disconnects from Ventrilo more often, I only disconnect occasionally... but there are still random disconnects from the game as well.

12. schang626

schang626

have u disabled wow in-game voice?

13. CutieTaunie

Yeah, it's not on... never used it, and I just double checked to make sure it's disabled and it was.

14. schang626

schang626

do u still have your old router handy? can u try hooking it up and see if you can reproduce the problem. if not then i would have to say it's the router.

15. CutieTaunie

No, the old router was completely shot... it no longer even recognized an internet connection, even fiddling in the command prompt with ipconfig, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice