1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router causing slow internet connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by justthedab, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justthedab

justthedab Thread Starter

ADSL internet connection slowed to almost zero (10 Kbps! - the connection got slower & slower through time).

contacted ISP who suggested connecting to the test socket.

decided first of all to connect an old router to the master (but not test) socket together with different cabling & splitter/microfilter - everything starting working almost perfectly (apart from downstream data rate was considerably lower than expected each time I connected - between about 1400 & 1600 Kbps - I have max. 8 Mbps).

when I connected back my current router everything continued to be OK (apart from low downstream data rate) - until I would restart the current router and everything went back to very very slow!

I then decided to replace current router with old router, but this time using the same telephone socket, cables etc. as for the current router.

Again everything started working well, but this time the downstream data rate is 6496 Kbps! I swapped back the current router, and everything is at this moment going fine.

BUT I just know that if I restart my current router it will be back to very very slow again!

does anybody know what's going on?!

(p.s. I had a problem a few months ago where the internet would go down for a time, sometimes for hours, but the ISP had no idea what was going on. I think it could have been a NAS drive connected to the router that was causing the issue - is this possible? It would seem that disabling the NAS drive would fix the problem - it is still currently switched off)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I successfully followed the multiple changes/tests I'd say that the router is failing intermittently. Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If you continue to get considerably slower internet access through it compared to a connection directly to the modem then replace the router.

3. justthedab

hi, thanks very much for the reply.

the problem though does not seem to be intermittent. it looks like it will alway occur when the router connects to the internet, unless the old router is used to establish a connection immediately prior - I just don't understand this.

the router is connected by wire to the PC, so it is not a wifi issue.

I will later reboot the router to check once again whether this will "destroy" my connection to the internet - I just don't want to do it right now cos everything is working just fine, and it would likely mean setting up my old router again!

4. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

So you used one ADSL filter splitter, got low connect speed, and with another ADSL filter splitter it was over 6 Mbit.

My bet is that the ADSL filter is the issue.

Also make sure you don't have a phone/fax/monitored alarm/foxtel or something which isn't filtered and loads the phone line.

One test is to unplug *every* phone device *at the wall* and plug the modem directly into the phone socket - no filters needed when no other phone devices are connected. Then reboot the modem check your connect speed.

Be aware that an alarm system that is unmonitored but still connected to the phone line needs an ADSL filter too.

5. justthedab

I'm just wondering why the old router (Netgear DG834G) would "fix" the internet connection, and with the subsequent re-install of the current router (Belkin Play Max ADSL) everything continues fine - although it is likely that on each reboot of the current router the problem will reappear.

The Belkin Play Max router has the latest firware, and I will later reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

The ADSL filter I used for the socket in the hall was completely brand new - but could perhaps have been an old model/spec. It could very well have been down to this filter as to why I was getting connect speeds of around 1.4 - 1.6 Mbit, but this is likely to be a separate issue to the far more serious one above.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Both of those "routers" are modem/router combination units.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice