1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router configuration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjr8886, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

I would like to access my router to configure it for maximum internet connection speed. The router is a NetGear WGR614v4 with both wireless and hard wire connections . My operating system is Windows XP Professional and I use a cable high speed interenet service. My router is out of the warranty period and NetGear will not provide tech support.

2. Hughv

Hughv

What speed does your ISP offer?
    What speed are you getting?
    Some tweaks you can find will also get your account cancelled.

3. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

My cable High speed internet speed is advertized as up to 9MB download.
    I measure download speeds varying from 1.5MB to 4.0MB

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:Are you paying for 9mbps ?(the "up to " part is confusing .to me )
    Have you speed tested this link before ?
    Have you tested your speed hardwaired to the modem.(A modem power on reset is required everytime a modem config change is made)

6. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

Pedroguy,

Thank you for responding to my posting. Regarding your first question about download speed I'm paying for, all I can say is my cable internet provider advertises "up to 9MB". I just recently downloaded a little program which tests actual internet speeds and am only getting between 1.0MB and 3.0MB. I talked to my internet provider technician and he said that download speed will vary depending on wide range of conditions, but that I should expect at least from 3.0MB to 7.0.MB. He sugested that the problem may be a non optimized router configuration which is both wireless and hardwired connected to my computer. I called my router manufacturer (NetGear) and was told that the router could be optimized but they wouln't tell me how since it was out of warranty. I have tried to access my router without success and am seeking help in doing that.

MJR8886

7. Hughv

Hughv

Have you tried the link I posted?
    Do you not know how to access the router configuration page?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

And my question again is:
    What bandwidth are you paying for ??
    What are you getting on your router connection and what are you getting on your modem hardwired connection ?(bypassing the router)

9. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

Pedroguy,

I am paying for prefered high speed internet service with my cable provider which is advertised as "up to 9MB" download speed. Using my router hard wired to my computer, I measure an average download speed of 2.3MB. Bypassing my router, directly hard wired from my modem, I measure a download speed of about the same, 2.35MB. Using a wireless connection, the speed is much lower, about 1MB. Apparently my problem is not with the router.
    I contacted my cable internet provider and was told that many things affect the download speed and that I am probably getting the maximum speed for my address. It does vary with the time of day and cable usage.
    I have received a reply from Hughv from a previous posting and he suggested trying a computer Tweak tester program from dslreports.com, which I did. I didn't understand all the information that came back, but the bottom line was 2.639MB.
    Do you have any further ideas? It looks like I'm stuck with those measured speeds. Thanks for your response to my posting.

mjr8886

My download speed using my router average

10. Hughv

Hughv

These guys get away wit these "Up to" speeds because no one complains.
    Let them know you intend to complain to your local commission, post on your blog, write your local paper and mention this in forums. It's BS that they get away with this, essentially false advertising.

11. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

Hugv,

I did try your link to dslreports.com and the tweak test. I didn't understand all the information that came back, but the bottom line was a transfer rate of 2.639MB which is consistent with the speed measurements I have making. Please refer to other thread correspondence I have made with Pedroguy for other things I have tried.
    I have tried getting to the router configuration page by typing in
    192.168.0.1 in goggle search, but all I get is a bunch of web sites that want sell me a service. Obviously, I' m not doing this right.

mjr8886

12. Hughv

Hughv

You're looking for a web page contained in the router, so the address goes in the address bar (http://, etc.)

13. mjr8886

mjr8886 Thread Starter

Dear Hughv

I have tried unsuccessfully to access my router. However, after testing download speeds through the router and and directly through my modem, I find no difference. Therefore, I don't think my router is slowing down internet speed and I'm not going to try optimizing its configuration.
    Your comment about my cable internet provider not providing the advertised speed I'm paying for is well taken and I will follow up on this. Thank you very much for your response to my problem.

mjr8886

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice