1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router configured as Wireless Access Point (WAP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JohnWill, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator Thread Starter

A question came up before about using a router as a wireless access point, specifically the Belkin F5D7230-4. I attempted to use this router as a WAP, and was unsuccessful. It seems to configure fine, but I couldn't get a connection. OTOH, I dug out my ZyXEL P-330W and it happily configured as a WAP and allowed connections to my Actiontec router.

A nice bonus was that it appeared to make very fast connections! I did a speed test from www.speakeasy.net/speedtest using that WAP and on a laptop with a similar speed processor using a Microsoft 802.11g wireless card. The laptop managed 6mbit download speed, and the ZyXEL was able to get the full bandwidth of my FiOS connection, 15mbit as a WAP. I'm quite impressed, I had no idea it would work that well! :D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good to know. You're really talking about using it as a wireless bridge, right? That is, to extend an existing wireless network to ethernet.

3. JohnWill

Yep, that's what I'm trying to use them for. I'm going to give the Belkin one more chance. maybe I just missed something in the configuration. I was pretty pleased with the performance of the ZyXEL router. :) I'll post to the thread again if I figure out the Belkin and verify that it will work.

4. JohnWill

No joy! I guess the Belkin just isn't going to be a wireless bridge for me. :) I fooled around with it for half an hour with every configuration that made any sense, and it never made a connection. I'm going to make sure I hang on to the ZyXEL router, since it's a dandy bridge. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice