1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cwilmot, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I just purchased a new, 4-port router and connected both of my computers to it. My XP computer, which had been connected to the Internet via a cable modem, required absolutely no setup changes. It performed immediately as if there had been no change whatsoever. But my old Win 98 computer, which had last been connected to MSN 8.0, via dial-up, required some changes in both the IE and OE settings and account areas. This I did, to the best of my ability, but it still tells me that it can't find the server and I just can't get on to the Internet. Any ideas or suggestions

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd get rid of everything in Network Properties, then reboot and let Windows discover it again. It should be very close to what you need after the default configuration.

3. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Johnwill, Thanks for the good advice. That's essentially what we do and it went very smoothly. Now I'm up and running with 2 networked PCs. cwilmot

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice