1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router consistency probems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by logansosa, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Hey, I am having a lot of trouble with the consistency of my wireless connections. Here is how i have it set up, cable connected directly to modem (Motorola SB5120 SURFboard cable modem), modem connected directly to wireless router (Linksys WRT 300N) (network name harrisoncox) and the router connected directly to the Desktop Pc by ethernet. This is set up in a casita outside my home. Then I have 5 computers inside the house that I am trying to get connected to this router inside my casita. 3 desktops that need external USB wireless adapters and 2 laptops that have their own internal adapters. Originally I had the cable set up only for my office and I have DSL (network name: default) inside the house that I have set up with the modem and router and the reason I am trying to get rid of this and replace it with the cable is simply speed, it basically has a connection speed of 760 kbps even directly connected by ethernet.

The problem I am having is mostly with consistency of the connection speed and at some times connectivity in general. On my desktop connected directly to cable my connection speed (tested at speakeasy.net) is around 10,500 kbps for downloads and 1089 for uploads. I was having major problems connecting to the cable internet inside the house, one moment it would connect and be extremely fast and the next it would have limited or no connectivity. Of the two laptops I have one is 2 years old one is brand new both HP's. The older wouldn't and still won't connect to the harrisoncox cable network at all, it shows that it's available but when I try connecting to it using the built in wireless card it ends up saying limited or no connectivity. But when I try to get it connected to the DSL (default) network it connects fine. So I tried using an external wireless adapter (ativa wireless g adapter) and it now connects to the cable network no problem. And it even gets a faster speed than any other computer. Funny thing also is that my new laptop works fine, the internal adapter connects fine to both networks. But connected to the cable network it has a connection speed of around 3700 kbps apposed to the old laptop with the external adapter which gets around 5300 kbps. But there were many times that even my new laptop and my old laptop with the external adapter would not be able to connect to the cable network, it would just display limited or no connectivity.

So I tried updating the routers firmware and that seemed to help, I no longer have limited or no connectivity messages and I can always connect but the speed is still very inconsistent.

I also bought a Linksys wireless G range expander since my router seemed to only push the signal as far as the closest room to my casita and that was the first room in the entire house so that was the only once getting this internet. So I set up the range expander in that room and it still seems that it has a low signal and there are still places in the house where I can't get my laptops to connect to the cable.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT, I am also wondering If the router and range expander of mine is just a cheap product or not. I was told that you can use antennas to transmit the signal extremely far and thought that maybe I should try that.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how do the laptops work when next to the router ??

Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

this will show signal to noise ratio - also if other networks are interferring on same channel

do you have a cordless phone at all
    are you running any encryption on the wireless signal ?

3. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Interestingly when next to the router the old laptop gets a great connection, when I test the speed it gets about 10,000 kbps which is what my main PC that is connected by ethernet gets. But the reason I say it is interesting is that when I click the quick launch button to view available wireless networks it shows me the network and then I click connect, it just processes for about 30 seconds then says "Not Connected" but I was connected, it does that every time,

And for the encryption the answer is no, how and exactly what does that encompass,
    and yes we cordless phones, in the mean time I will download the software to check the signal to noise ratio.

thanks
    Logan

4. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

also I downloaded the program but there are many things I am not familiar with so I will have to do some researching but if you need any of my network stumbler info let me know

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there maybe conflict betwen the adapter software and Windows WZC software - are you running the adapter software ??

the encryption stops anyone else using the wireless signal - but as its off leave it that way for now - also cordless phones and encrption can cause issues - but as no encryption we can leave that for the moment - although may be interferring - so a channel change on router to 1,6 or 11 may help

when you see it connected post an ipconfig /all
    ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

lets see if it picks up the router OK
    and then we can try to ping the router and some websites

try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
    C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    netstumbler will see the network details and any other in the area

so are they other SSID;s listed other than yours - if so whats the channels

then if you click on the + signs and click on SSID you should get a graph showing the signal youcan then move around and see if the signal drops - purple lines mean disconnections

Attached Files:

7. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

just wanted to drop a line and inform you that tomorrow I would be out of town, so I will run through your tips on friday and repost then.
    Thanks

8. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Hey I'm back, Well teh adapter problem seems to be fixed (as far as the connectivity issue), all I did was uninstall and reinstall the adapter driver on my laptop so now it has no problem connecting to the network. But I am having another problem, I am trying to open up a certain port so that I can get incoming connections from utorrent users, I set up a static ip under network connections>LAN>Properties>TCP/IP>Properties>use the following IP address/dns servers. I used ipconfig/all to see my original ip address assigned by the router and it was 192.168.1.100 and I changed my Routers settings for DHCP to hand out only 100-109. Then I assigned my computer 192.168.1.136. Then I opened up my routers settings (192.168.1.1) and chose applications and gaming. Then under single port forwarding I added Utor1 under application name then put the port number 1936 under extranet port and internet port. Then I put which Ip address to forward to then clicked enable. When I check if the port is open using utorrent it always tells me it is closed. It has to be since I should be downloading around 60-90k (depending on the seeders) becuase the torrent I am using has plenty of seeders, but my download speed won't go over 30k. Is there any way to manually open ports? I am thinking of setting up my home network a different way. I am going to have the modem in my office and that connected to a hub and the hub with two ethernet cables going out. One to my desktop pc in the office and the other one will (since my office is in a casita and it is only about 30 feet from the window of the first bedroom of the first floor of the house) connect to the router which will be in the first bedroom of the house. From there it can transmit to the rest of the house or whoever uses that room can connect their laptops directly to the router to get lan speeds. What do you think?

Here is my ipconfig/all results.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LoganusMaximus

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Lo Lo's Wireless:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-73-06-E0-87

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.137

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.41.120.51

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-C6-82-B4

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.136

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.41.120.51

9. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Here are my ping results:
    Ping my default gateway:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are the results for google.com Ping:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging google.com [64.233.167.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=767ms TTL=241
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=879ms TTL=241
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=940ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=1008ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.99:
    Minimum = 767ms, Maximum = 1008ms, Average = 898ms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are results for ping of 64.233.187.99 :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=737ms TTL=238
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=795ms TTL=238
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=540ms TTL=238

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Minimum = 540ms, Maximum = 795ms, Average = 690ms
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might consider signing up for an account a www.dslreports.com and running their line quality tests. You can post a link here to the results. Your PING time to google suck!

C:\>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=238
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=238
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=238
    Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=238

Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

11. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

the dsl guy from embarq just came over and our speed shot up after he made the dsl exclusive from the phone. Here are my new stats:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 2ms
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging google.com [72.14.207.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=238
    Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=238

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99:
    Minimum = 92ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 92ms
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=238

Minimum = 75ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 75ms
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it seems to be way faster, 75ms vs 690 ms
    and for google, 92 ms vs. 898ms

12. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

way faster when I am connected to the ethernet, but I think outside wireless networks are affecting my wireless. I used stumbler and there are many different networks around mine, and they all seem to be on channel 6 is there any way I can post exact details from net stumbler?

13. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

I was going to check the settings on the router and see what the channels I could choose from, but now for some reason it will not find the router, the embarq guy also gave me a new modem, it might be affecting my ability to view my router I just don't know how or why.

14. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Well, all my problems have gone completely away. I reinstalled the router driver and i was then able to access it without a problem, I changed the channel to channel 7 and now all computers are getting good signal and fast download speeds, and now port 1936 is open for me to connect to utorrent users, all is well, but when I extend my cable network I hope the same is true, if so then I will post again.

THANKS
    Logan

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just for your info
    Channel 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap other channels so less chance of interfereance

but as its working OK on 7 you may be fine

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice