1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router cuts speed in half??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by X_Gamer7, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

I have a subscription to Comcast Cable, and a D-Link DI-604 Router (not wireless). Yesterday I hooked up the router (not to another computer, just wanted to see what would happen to my primary computer). To make the story short, the speed went from about 3400Kb/s to around 1600Kb/s. I tried it over and over again, unhooking the router, going directly from modem to computer, and got the same results every time. Are routers supposed to do this or is it fualty? If this is normal, is there a better way of "splitting" the connection between 2 computers without losing that much speed?? It is noticable when i download files, etc...

Thanx in advace,
    X_Gamer7

2. Maggz

Maggz

Ima have to agree with you here. I have the same problem with my router connecting 2 computers. I lose a significant bandwith even when the other computer isnt sucking it all up.. Might need to tweak the router but im just not a router persom -_-

3. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

There has got to be a better way to do this then.....does anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

4. mobo

mobo

Must be something wrong as routers shouldn't do that. Use the reset button on the dl604 then disable any software firewall you have installed.

5. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

6. mobo

mobo

Your upload speed is lagging but you download is doing very well. That may be an isp server issue if you cannot repair it yourself...had a similar problem with upload and it was the isp.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!