1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router disconnects from internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by edmansell, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edmansell

edmansell Thread Starter

I have a Speedcom+ Broadband Router (RT514AD), connected to a Motorola cable modem and 2 computers (each running Win98SE). Everything works fine for about 1 hour, then my internet connection is lost, and I have to press the reset button on the router, which then sorts it out (but only until the next hour).

I've looked for a firmware upgrade, but can't find find technical support for this product anywhere (it was the cheapest after all!). Is there anything I can do to make the connection more stable?

Ed

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Is there a setting in your setup to automatically renew IP address? if so, make sure that is checked.

3. edmansell

edmansell Thread Starter

There is no such option unfortunately. I have the connection type set as DHCP, I'm guessing this is ok?

Ed

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First thing to try is connect the cable modem directly to one of the computers and see if it'll remain connected. That's to eliminate the cable company from the problem. If that works, then you'll have to see what you can do with the router. Since you can find routers like the SMC Barricade on sale for $40 and sometimes a bit less, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on this issue. :)

5. Del

Del

If your ISP is short on IP addresses, they may have your lease on the IP set to one hour and causing your router to drop the connection.
    If you connect one machine to the modem, after you connect, go to Start > Run > winipcfg and click ok. Go to details and see if the lease expires is one hour later then the lease obtained time.

6. JohnWill

The lease time has no effect on how long you can retain the connection, assuming that the DHCP server and client are doing their job. At roughly the halfway point of the lease time, the client routinely requests an extension of the lease, and should get it. The only reason for lease times at all is to keep an IP from being tied up on a dead circuit forever. If they're not granting extensions, then they have a DHCP server configuration issue, it's certainly not normal for a lease not to be renewed.

7. Del

Del

Yup, understand the concept of how the lease is supposed to operate, but did tech support for Road Runner a few years ago and when they were short on IP's, you got dropped whether you were using it or not..

8. JohnWill

Well, since he gets right back on, I guess I fail to see how that could be the issue. I'm fairly sure that this is not a widespread practice, most people run for weeks without a disconnect on cable systems. Anyone that routinely drops customers in that manner is running a very low class operation!

9. edmansell

edmansell Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I don't think it's an issue with the cable company, as I never had many problems before using the router.

I checked the lease time, and it turned out to be 3 days.

I occasionally get a blue-screen-of-death with the error message to do with "NDIS" (something about networking - I don't really understand it). I found a Microsoft help page about this and installed a patch, so I haven't had the error message again yet, but still have the same problem of disconnecting. Might it be a software problem in Windows 98? Or KazaaLite, which I use regularly? Bearing in mind that everything was fine before I used the router...

Ed

10. M1K1

M1K1

Ed
    Just came across this post and I have the same problem with the same sort of router on NTL - before I bought the router I did have an internet sharing connection and this was definitely more stable. I also still using W9SE on more than one client PC connected to this router.
    Did you eventually find a solution please ?

Many thanks
    Mike

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/109366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice