1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Disconnects When Connecting 2nd Computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joco, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joco

joco Thread Starter

I have a ZyXEL P-335U wireless router, which also has four normal LAN ports.
    Currently I only use the normal LAN ports, and I have no wlan connections active.
    The router is connected to the internet through an ethernet connection. (10/10Mbit)

Everything works great when I connect through the router with only one computer, but
    if I plug in my 2nd computer, both connections will die after 10-60 minutes. All the lights
    on the router keep blinking like usual, even after the connections die. It seems like some
    outgoing traffic will still be possible after the connection crashes, but no incoming data.

I returned the router to have it fixed, but they found no problems and sent it back to me.

Hopefully someone here will have an idea of what could be the problem. Looking forward
    to reading any ideas/comments/tips/help/whatever.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With two computers connected please show for each ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. joco

joco Thread Starter

Thank you for replying to my thread.

I do not think there is anything wrong with the two computers' network configurations. Here is the relevant information from ipconfig on windows, and ifconfig on the other machine, which runs linux:

DHCP enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration enabled: Yes
    IP Addr machine #1 : 192.168.1.33
    IP Addr machine #2 : 192.168.1.34
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
    DNS server is set to a proper, working dns server.
    DHCP Lease will expire in 3 days.

One of the cards is a 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI card
    The other one is a built in NVIDIA nForce adapter.

One more thing, I've manually set the router's MAC address to the same MAC address as one of the machines connected to it. This is so I will get the correct settings from my ISP's DHCP server. Maybe this might cause somekind of problem? But I doubt it, since the router actually has an option to "use machine X's MAC addr". Would be strange to have such an option avalable if it did in fact cause this problem.

4. joco

joco Thread Starter

I've done some more testing, and it seems like 1x LAN port + 1x WLAN connection will not cause any connection problems.
    But if I plug in another LAN port, I can expect all the connections to die within one hour.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Cloning the MAC address of a computer to the router's WAN MAC address will cause no problem.

Sounds most like a problem with the ethernet switch part (i.e., the LAN ports and their interconnection) of that router. If I'm right you want a replacement, not an attempted repair.

Can't rule out some kind of weird electrical/grounding problem. Some things you could try ...

Make sure your two computers are plugged into different electrical circuits.
    If either is a laptop unplug it and use battery only.
    Borrow another computer and try it with one of your computers. Then try it with your other computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/695925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice