1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by si_wardo, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

hi all recently my router has started disconnecting my internet connection more or less every ten minutes and will not reconnect unless i complete a full cycle ie removing and reinserting the plug. surely this isnt normal i have always had to unplug the router to get it to reconnect but that was normally every 24-48 hours which i could live with but 10mins thats a bit much really aint it

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes there is a firmware upgrade that will correct router disconnects.

3. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

well hw do i go about getting this firmware update any help much appreciated

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Go to the router makers website,search for your model #,probably in the tech support or download section,and see if there are any current firmware updates available for your particular router model #

5. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

have done this i have the latest firmware

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Confirm that you know that the router is disconnecting; e.g., the modem indicates that it still has internet access or you have connected directly to the modem and do not suffer the disconnects that way. What is the brand and model of the router?

7. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

the router i have is bt home hub router well internet works and then like 10mins later it will disconnect i can still access my home network files but only if i search for the computer name manually.

8. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

also the lights remain green on the home nub which is what they are supposed to be when and connection is established

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you are saying that you have a modem/router combo--all in one unit.

At any rate, I can't think of anything else to try. If it's ISP supplied ask for a replacement unless you get some other suggestions here.

10. si_wardo

si_wardo Thread Starter

yes your correct mate it is modem/router combined should have stated that really well i rang bt today and they said basically they cant swap the router cause the broadband light was on green and while that is the case it means there is nothing wrong with the router its self there saying

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice