1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router DSL modem connection problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CAdidas333, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CAdidas333

CAdidas333 Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I work as a tech consultant, and I am stumped on this one.

I am working at a clients house. She has purchased DSL sevice though a hole-in-the-wall company called superpa.net.

They have given me particular parameters to make the computer connect to their POS system.

Set IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    Set Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Preferred DNS Server: 63.169.216.98 alternate 204.117.214.10

Well that is all fine a good and the computer connects just great. But my client just bought a new laptop and wants wireless. Wireless is simple, well it should be.

I got her a basic Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G Router. Nothing Fancy.

Now obviously, the router must use the same setting as the computer. So I went in to the Config, and made it a static ip with all of the listed above. I changed the computer back to the auto obtain ip address and dns server, but I HAVE NOTHING!

The modem shows a conncetion to the router, and her computer shows a connection the router, but there is NO activity between the modem and router. No activity=No Internet

I called Linksys, they told me to contact my ISP, then called Superpa.net, they said they dont do any support for wireless, only for one hardlined computer. They would sent someone out to fix it $200/service call + $60/hour... I said forget it.

Anyone with any suggestions or solutions... I would be much abliged!!!!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I trust that you power cycled the modem when switching from computer to router.

If the Linksys LAN defaults to 192.168.1.x, change it to 192.168.0.x.

EDIT: and clone the computer's MAC address to the router.

3. CAdidas333

CAdidas333 Thread Starter

Thanks.

Tried that! No luck. I cloned the computers mac address, and I changed the routers ip address...

and of course i did recycle... first thing...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Chris

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To review, the router's LAN subnet is now 192.168.0.x; it's WAN static IP is 192.168.1.3; a connected computer gets a good ipconfig from the router's Dhcp server; and you can access the router just fine. Right?

It's a known good patch cable between the modem and router?

Have you looked at everything on the router's WAN status for clues--your settings are still there, it shows connected(?) or disconnected(?) if it has this explicit indication, etc.?

In your first post you said, "NO activity between the modem and router." With all the possible settings taken care of, this has to mean bad cable, cross-over cable or bad router, doesn't it??? You've probably already checked the cable 6 times before even posting; you could try the router somewhere else. You could even just connect a PC (with static IP 192.168.1.1) to the router's WAN port and you should be able to ping it. I guess cross-over cable would be needed if don't have auto-sensing port.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice