1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router/DSL setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wyvern10, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wyvern10

Wyvern10 Thread Starter

I have a linksys BFRSR41 router and a DSL modem. I am connecting two computers through the router. Both computers are using WIN XP home. Do I need to have the internet gateway setup on one computer? Shouldn't the router be doing the sharing of the DSL?

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows of any sites on how to set up a network with my equipment I would appreciate the link. Thanks in advance.

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

If DHCP is enabled on the router and the computers are setup to obtain IP & DNS then I don't think you'll have to setup a gateway. But, if you're hard coding your IP addy and DNS numbers set your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 or whatever your router IP is.

3. Justice1

Justice1

What Mithrilhall wrote is correct. You want your PCs to use your router's IP address as their "gateway". Your router in turn uses your ISP's address as it's "gateway".

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do realize that with the DSL modem, you have to go into the router configuration and set the name/password for your account and configure PPPoE as the protocol, correct? You don't need any special software on any of the computers, you just want to configure TCP/IP to automatically obtain the IP and DNS addresses.

5. smooth26

smooth26

there is no need for you to setup any gateway or whatsoever.since your dsl,it depends on what kind of modem you are using.some modems may require you for a username & password..if thats the case,set router to pppoe..if not just to obtain an ip..

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I believe most DSL accounts use PPPoE and require a name/password...

7. coulterp

coulterp

Depends which side of the pond Wyvern10 is located.
    PPPoA is the norm where the Georg Dubbya is currently eating fish,chips with mushy peas.

8. nessagirl

nessagirl

LINKSYS TECHSUPPORT HERE -

dear wyvern, what you have to do here is first check your physical connections be sure to follow this:

setup should be - dsl----(internet/wan port)befsr41---(let's say port4) pc number1

after that: start -> run -> type "cmd" enter -> on dos prompt type ping(space)192.168.1.1 ---- when you have valid replies from the ipaddress(4 replies to be exact) it means that the pc and the router communincates.... close dos window

open an inetrnet explorer browser - on the address field type in there "HTTP://192.168.1.1" - enter/go

---- > you will be asked for a username & password, leave the username blank and for the password type in ther "admin" enter/go

----- > on the linksys "setup" page, look for INTERNET OR WAN CONNECTION TYPE - be sure its set to pppoe - by default its set to obtain or automatic - after you switched it to pppoe - it will ask you for a username and password again - be sure to type there the username and password given to you by your internet service provider..... HIT APPLY OR SAVE SETTINGS

----- > go to "status" page/tab - look for pppoe log-in status, if you have there log-in status "disconnected" definitely you must have there a CONNECT button - press it and when it came back that's its "connected" - definitely YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO ONLINE NOW!

------ > in case youve been given there a message "cannot connect to pppoe server - be sure you have a established connection with your isp or you included the domain used by your isp on your username. or a message "authetication failed" it means you incorrectly typed your username and password

----- > with your other computer - you dont need to do teh same things youve done on the first pc - just restart that computer and it should go online as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice