1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router frequent disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TreyDawgMT, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a Linksys EA6900 V1.1 Router. This router is probably 18 - 24 months old. I can't quite remember when I bought it, maybe it is even as old as 3 years, but I don't think so. The router will often drop connection and automatically begin to reconnect. This is intermittent, and sometimes the connection works for hours or days, and sometimes it will fail every 5 or 10 minutes for awhile.

This is a fairly new issue, at least with this frequency. We moved into a new home in June, and I started to get a very occasional drop, but it wasn't super frequent until the last couple of months probably.

This happens on wired and wireless connections both. (My desktop is hardwired) I have attached screenshots of the settings in my Linksys Smart Wi-Fi area. Guest Access, Parental Controls, and Media Prioritization are all turned off.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Admin.JPG Advanced Routing.JPG Local Network.JPG Internet Settings.JPG Connectivity.JPG Wi-Fi Settings.JPG

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Here's a 17 page thread from 2014-2018 discussing frequent drops with your router
    https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA6900-drops-internet-consistantly/td-p/807480

I saw from one of your screenshots that you have the latest firmware.

One of the posts mentions a specific firmware version, though that version is not available for download.
    Download page
    https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148447

I don't know what to suggest other than buying another router and seeing if that works better. (My original Linksys router lasted 13 years. It started dropping connections. I bought a "new" one but it is an old router similar to the one that died. I like the old WRT line so that's what I stuck with.) I do have a Netgear that I used briefly before finding a Linksys WRT router.

3. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT Thread Starter

Thanks for that link! One of the things it's mentioned is heat. I did rearrange the area the router is a few months ago, and move where the router was. Less air flow. I've moved it to somewhere with a lot more airflow and I've raised the router a bit for airflow underneath. One of my friends awhile ago mentioned on Facebook having your router set to auto shutoff for 30 minutes overnight making it more stable and letting it cool completely also. Any thoughts on trying that?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I've never shutoff my router overnight. My router has always been in the open with lots of airflow. It feels warm but not hot to the touch and it has been on for a year or two except for brief power outages but if less than 3 hours, it stays on because it is attached to an UPS (uninterruptible power supply) .

If your router feels hot then I guess shutting it off would help in your situation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!