1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router has slow performance vs. direct modem connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xTRICKYxx, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

My ISP is Comcast and I am subscribed to a 12mbps download and a 2.5mbps upload. When I am directly connected to my modem I get around 13-30mbps (Yeah I know, I get more than what I pay for!)
    However, when downloading files through my router my max download speed is 750-770 kb/s.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I have tried this with a Linksys WRT320N and a Netgear RangeMAX (forget model) and SAME RESULTS!!!!

I am very familiar with the menus of both.

So, is there anything I can do to unlock the true potential of my speed through my router/s?

*Added note: I have tested my router via ethernet and wireless. Same performance.

I know 750 kb/s isn't bad. In fact it is perfectly liveable.

Weird note: via speedtest.net the router and modem get the same speed. But, when I try downloading via P2P, Steam, random file sharing website; the modem outperforms every time.

Thanks for the help! My first post on techguy.org!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd download and install the latest firmware for the router, then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure. See if that changes things.

What's the exact make/model of the Comcast modem?

3. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

I already have. On both routers they are at the current firmware with Windows 7 compatibility. The modem is by Scientific Atlanta but I cannot obtain the model number at the moment. (Not home for a few days)

4. JohnWill

Did you also reset to factory defaults after the firmware upgrade? That's an important step.

I have run across specific modem/router combinations that don't play well together. In my case, it was a Toshiba cable modem and a D-Link router. I stuck a cheap 100mbit switch between as a buffer and all was well. Even if just as a diagnostic measure, you might try that as well.

5. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

Yes. Where can I get this switch you refer to? Do you suggest I get a wireless modem?

6. JohnWill

Well, an Ethernet switch is a basic network component, you get them anywhere you might buy a router.

If you have a friend with a different model router, you might consider asking him to test it in your location to see if this is simply a router/modem interface issue. You could also test your router in his location if he's reluctant to bring his to you.

7. atnerzig

atnerzig

Wireless g networks only get up to 54 mb / sec speed

if its wired straight to the modem youll get up tp 100 mb / sec

depending how far away you are, the wireless should be fast enough

8. JohnWill

atnerzig, you're not following the bouncing ball. His wired connections are slow, wireless doesn't enter this picture at this time.

9. JohnWill

Since two routers have an issue, I'm starting to wonder if something odd is happening with the modem...

10. atnerzig

atnerzig

my bad i thought he said wireless

11. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

I did talk to Comcast and they said all routers slow down my speed to that level. I just feel like that isn't the truth... Should I try a new modem?

12. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

I believe it is a modem issue.

13. JohnWill

That's a total crock! I've never seen any measurable slowdown with a router on any broadband connection, including Comcast. I had Comcast for years, and I had a variety of routers during that period, and I never saw anything like this.

I have Verizon FiOS now, and the same comment applies. I've used at least four routers on this service, and it's always full speed.

14. xTRICKYxx

xTRICKYxx Thread Starter

Ugh. I really don't know what to do. I will call them again.

15. JohnWill

This could be an issue with the modem, that's all I can think of.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/942213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice