1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Help Needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhapsody, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

OK - - -
    i need help in configuring my router to my second comp - i cannot get it to work after doing a clean reinstall of Win98se. Everything seems to be working ok on the old comp. The problem seems to lie in the ability or lack of ability to PING. My 2nd comp can ping its self with no prob, but it can only PING the gateway & main comp 2 out of 2 and not even that at times. Any ideals on what i need to do to fix this issue? << Please explain step by step as i am fairly new to all this networking thing >>

THX,
    Rhapsody :confused:

2. compgeek101

compgeek101

Could you give us a little more info? What is the operating system on the old comp? Is it a wired or wireless router. Try to ping the router and the other comp and tell us what happened.

3. scooby43

scooby43

also whats the make and model :)

4. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

operating sys on comp is Win98se. operating sys on the main comp that is working is XP. it is a wired router (Linksys with verizon dsl). when i PING the other comp i get 2 out of 4 - i can get 3 out 4 if i disable the family filter and the virus protection. not for sure what you mean when you say PING the router - PLZ explain???? make and model (?) - Global (9 yrs old).

THX,
    Rhapsody :)

5. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

UPDATE:
    i disabled the intrusion filter and i was able to PING the other comp 4 out of 4. GREAT!!!!

But when i PING the gateway some times i PING 4 out of 4 and other times only 3 out of 4.

6. compgeek101

compgeek101

i think it would be in your best interest to not use any of the firewalls or filters then :)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you are getting dropped packets, I'd look very closely at your wiring. If you made the cables yourself, are you sure you got the twisted pairs in the correct place?

8. scooby43

scooby43

John is it hard to make wires your self and how would you know where the twists go?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

10. scooby43

scooby43

Thanks looks interesting, I don't think ill try it my self :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice