1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howard.a.s, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

About a week ago I asked a question in another section of this site about how to connect two PCs to the same internet connection at the same time.

My broadband connection speed is shown as 2.2mbps and I currently have two seperate PCs, both of which can be connected to this internet connection by means of their own Thomson Speedtouch modem. However, if I try to connect both to the net at the same time, neither will work.

I was told that I require a router.

I have since looked at various routers with a view to purchasing. However, the specifications seem to vary, and I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice as to what would be best for me to buy.

I have seen adverts for routers with speeds of 54mbps, 125mbps, 270mbps.

Which would be best for me?

Given that one would assume the higher the mbps rating, the faster it up/downloads, why would anyone want the slower versions?

My intentions are to use one PC to stream an online radio station 24 hours a day. The other PC will be used for general duties, such as up/downloading files, emailing, word processing etc. So, I would need a router that allows me to do this.

All advice gratefully received.

2. bigbear

bigbear

I would suggest you buy a wireless modem router similar to this, it will allow you to connect up to four pc's by cable with the added advantage of wireless.
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=539
    You don't need to go any higher than 54mbps for using the internet as that is far higher than your internet bandwidth, it only becomes an issue if you are transferring large files between pc's

3. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

Just a couple of questions on the back of that.

When connecting the router and my two pcs, is it just a simple matter of plug and play, or, to use this websites phrase, plug and pray!

Basically, should both pcs connected all log-on without issues, or am I going to expect hours of phone calls to my internet provider, and many sleepless nights?

Am I correct to assume that the more pcs that share the same connection, the longer it will take to up/download simultaneously?

Given that my internet connection is listed as 2.2mbps, would you consider it possible for me to stream audio out, whilst still using my other pc on the net at the same time?

4. bigbear

bigbear

The beauty of these types of modems, they are not software based they are configured through the browser.
    The one I posted is very easy to set up, you will need your username and password then just use the wizard.
    I have a similar internet bandwidth as you with three pc's hardwired and one wireless with no noticeable dropoff,
    I don't think you will have much trouble streamming radio and surfing the net with two pc's

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice