1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router Intermittently Loses Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stanr691, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

Here is my scenario..

I have a Linksys E2500 router connected to a Westell modem from AT&T (my ISP).

The router will just intermittently lose internet connection for a few minutes up to a half hour, the come back. This happens to wired and wireless devices.

If I plug straight into the modem, the connection is rock solid with no drops.

I have done the following to try to alleviate the issue:

Moved the router to a different location away from any other electronics to rule out electronic interference or over heating.

Changed out the ethernet cable between the router and modem.

Upgraded the firmware on the router, even though the latest firmware was already installed, I reinstalled it.

Factory reset the router and reconfigured it.

Changed the local LAN to different subnets.

Changed the DNS settings to Google DNS, my ISP DNS, etc.

I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

EDITED TO ADD: I also had a Netgear router that did the same thing when I switched them out.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Westell "modem" actually a modem/router combo? If so, what LAN subnet is it using and what LAN subnet does the second router use?

3. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

I think I found out the issue. I had company and they had brought several phone, ipads, etc. My internet connection is only 3 mbps. It seems maybe we were all polling DNS or requesting resources or something at the same time, because as soon as they all left, everything went back to normal. I never considered that because there was only a total of 6 wireless devices plus my PC via ethernet connected.

Living in the country has it's drawbacks.

4. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

But to answer your question, the modem is a straight modem and it uses 192.168.1.x/24 subnet while my router uses 192.168.0.x/24

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty strange. Six wireless devices on one network could cause bad congestion, but certainly should not cause a router to disconnect. Anyhow, glad it's working for you now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice