1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router IP Released Remotely Need Renew

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikeh623, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeh623

mikeh623 Thread Starter

Okay guys, this is going to sound lame, but I accidently "released" my router's IP remotely. I am at school, and I logged into the router's admin so that i can forward a port so that I could remote desktop into my laptop in my room at home. When looking at the dhcp table, i tabbed one too many times and accidently released the router's IP. Because of this, I now lost connection to the router and hence all computers connected through it.

Is there any command, etc. that I can send to the IP address that would force the router to renew its IP address so that I can establish my connections? Its a linksys WTR54G.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I can't think of any off hand. If someone is at home, just have them power cycle the router.

3. mikeh623

mikeh623 Thread Starter

Yea, its my lucky day though, no one's home, I'm 45 minutes away, and I need to get to my laptop, lol. And the sun isn't out...

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I think you are out of luck. Even if the router renews, you likely won't get the same IP so you need to be at the router to figure out what it is.

If you feel this might happen again, you might want to check out something like this: http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

5. mikeh623

mikeh623 Thread Starter

Yup, out of luck. Though, my IP doesn't change, its been the same for over a year now. Thanks all for your help.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If it is a dynamic IP it will change at some point. When I first got broadband my IP didn't change for almost a year and then one month it changed three times. There are a couple of free dynamic ip clients out there. I use no-ip.com

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice