1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved router is wimpy

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tjcnok, Aug 10, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

My desktop is setting about 15 feet from my router. I can't get connected to the internet. Did all the trouble shooting stuff on windows 10. Followed all the solutions suggested and nothing worked! Finally got to the bottom of the list and last suggestion was to move the computer closer to the router, so I did. Worked perfectly! So, my question is: When using an exede satelite (we are in an extremely rural area and satilite is our only option) what brand and model of router upgrade would you suggest? Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Any 802.11g or newer router will be fine at a distance of 15 feet.

Have you checked to make sure that the desktop adapter's antenna is not loose? When you moved the desktop did you also avoid an obstacle between the router and adapter's antenna (maybe, for example, you reoriented the desktop so that the wireless signal was not blocked by the PC itself)?

4. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

Thanks for the Reply! I can't find any sort of adapter antenna on the computer it's self. There is nothing between the computer and the router. Perhaps I need to shop for an antenna or would this be some sort of internal device That would require some one with more knowledge than I have to install? I assumed that the router was not up to snuff. I bet an antenna would be a lot less money than a whole new router.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You have a PCI wireless adapter? Often they have an external antenna, but sometimes an internal one.

6. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

A lot of the newer desktop machines have a built in WiFi with an antenna encased on the back of the machine.
    If the machine is down on the floor surrounded by what ever, things just may be blocking the single.

Make and model of this machine may help?

If you can post a picture of the back of this machine?

7. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

Is on the floor, but nothing between it and the router. It is a HP p6320y. Can't seem to attach a picture of the back. It asks for a url, witch I can't locate. I am pretty sure it has a built in WiFi adapter. One of the trouble shooting actions is to rebuild the adapter settings. It has in the past connected setting just where it is without having to move it to within a couple feet of the router and I can place another comp. at the same place and that one works just great. I am thinking I need a better router or one of those little usb looking adapters. Just don't have the extra money to go exploring for a solution. Thanks,

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

If you are within 15' of the router, why do you not use an Ethernet cable? It is faster and much more secure than wireless and not subject to any sort of interference.

TechSupportPenguin likes this.
  9. DaveA

Of all of the images I have found on the internet of this HP p6320y, they show two brass connectors for the antenna.
    Do you have these connectors?
    If not then you may not have a built in WiFi.
    Or if you do, you need to connect a antenna to them.

plodr likes this.
  10. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

I do. Don't know why I saved it but I did! Computer has the two brass connectors so that's what I will do next. I have never understood why this was included with the computer but had no instructions as what it was for. The reason for not just using an ethernet cable is because it would have to be strung out across the room to be a trip hazard. But, why did this machine at one time connect to the net work just the way it sets? Mystery! I will get the antenna screwed into the back and let you know what happens.

11. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

David! You are today's internet hero! Screwed that antenna into those brass connectors and like magic it connected perfectly! Had to disconnect though because it started updating all sorts of microsoft stuff. Thanks for every one's help, especially David's! Now I don't have to lug it across the room just to catch up on updates, and didn't have to spend a dime on new hardware.

12. plodr

plodr Liz

DavidA, great sleuthing skills. Our desktops are old and are all wired.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

So, in addition to asking if you had made "sure that the desktop adapter's antenna is not loose" I should have asked if you had even connected it? :D

14. tjcnok

tjcnok Thread Starter

Well, at least you knew what the problem was, lol. I didn't even know what a antenna adapter was till David mentioned those two brass connectors on the back. The amazing thing is that I still had the antenna at all!

15. DaveA

tjcnok,
    Glad to be of service.
    These bras connectors ate the earlier method. I helped set up a newer Windows 10 machine and it had along narrow plastic shroud running up and down the back side which has the WiFi antenna installed.
    That is what I was looking for, but found the brass connectors in the images I saw.

Now you need to flag this thread solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194507