router isn't mine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kozmonaut

I live in a multi-unit apartment building that offers QWest DSL service to tenants. Each unit is supplied by a line from the same router, in a little room somewhere. The router hooks into a QWest business DSL account. Neither the manager nor landlord really know much about how the service works. The manager just activates the appropriate port on the router when a tenant signs up.
I got the service to take my PS2 online (I have no computer), mainly to play first-person shooters. I use the Sony adapter, not USB. I immediately noticed a lot of lag. The best ping-time available was about 150, usually it's more like 300. (connection is DHCP). Then I got a message from one game that I was behind a firewall, and could not host games. When I asked the landlord about this, he said the router doesn't have a built-in firewall, but essentially hooks up all our dynamic addresses to its static address, so the effect is the same. When I inquired about things like port-forwarding and DMZ he had no clues or suggestions.
The problem is that they have the router, and I don't have much access. I doubt they'd let me monkey around with it very much; If there's anything I need to do to it, I'll have to know what to do beforehand, as well as convince them that I'll do no harm. I can probably find the make and model of the router easy enough.
20 bucks a month is what they charge, and it'd be a good deal if I could get down to a decent ping time, but right now it's essentially worthless. Even worse, QWest won't likely let me buy my own line from them directly, because there's already a line there.
If I can't solve this, I'll have wasted a fair bit of money.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I would say your only solution is to get your own DSL or Cable Internet connection.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't understand the comment "QWest won't likely let me buy my own line from them directly, because there's already a line there." :confused: It's pretty hard to believe that the fact that there is DSL somewhere in the building, that the company won't let you buy it! That's a sure recipe for going out of business quick!

Kozmonaut

thing is they have set up a business account with the landlord, and their only line in is to the landlord's router on that account...
maybe they would give me a static address, with my own line instead of one off the landlords line. It would cost me more though, so I wish there were a way to get ping times down below 100 with my current situation.
For FPS games there is no other way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online