1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router keeps dropping out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DrkSdBls, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Every so often, like every two days, my Router will drop all internet connections.

I have a Desktop computer hardwired directly to port 1 on the router and my sister has her Labtop connected wirelessly.

When the router drops the signal, both computers lose their connection and to reconnect, I have to unplug the router and reset it using it's reset button, then replug it in.

Obviously, this is a problem for both of us.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Sometimes filters just go, so try a new one. Also make sure all phone points being used have filters.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Filters and phone lines would only apply to a DSL account, perhaps you could tell us the make/model of the modem, router, and what version/patch level of Windows you're running. Also, exactly what indications do you see on the router when it dies?

4. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

I have a D-Link Cable modem and Windows XP SP2.

5. Daredeval756

Daredeval756

I have this exact problem. Mine Drops Whenever i get extremly high bandwidths. There is no tru way to fix it except reset it or get a new one. I am getting a new one soon, my is a piece of crap. I have a Microsoft MN-700

6. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

same here I have a linkys wireless router with linkys wireless network card and everynow and then it will loose the connection and I have to unplug the router it annoying but I don't think theres anything that can be done.I don't know if theres something that can be installed to "boost" the signal

7. srhoades

srhoades

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the cable modem actually disconnects and loses carrier under high load, I'd be looking at either the cable modem or the ISP having problems.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525756