Router keeps losing connection *DNS problem*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ruttinstag

Hi every three days or so i can't view any webpages and i have to reset my router to factory settings and type all the info back into the router which is somewhat of a pain. I have been told that its something to do with DNS, but it never did it before and only started about a month ago

The router is a D-Link G604T, like i said it only started about a month ago and its already driving me mad!!!

Don't know much about this but I have Zone Alarm and was having some what the same thing happen.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-zonealarm-configure.html

If your network of computer is behind a router, you can change the adapter subnet entry from "Internet" to "Trusted". If you don't have a router and are directly connected to the Internet, then you should keep this zone as "Internet".

You can also designated specific IP address, sites, subnets, or networks as "Trusted" or "Internet sites".

Whenever you make changes, make sure to click on "Apply" for the changes to take effect.

ruttinstag

Hmmmm what i can't understand is it was fine till about a month ago, no problems at all, then it just starts happening :confused: i didn't have Zone Alarm on my PC before so what could be doing this, could it be spyware or a virus?

ruttinstag

Only in the last couple of days (a virus checker & Ad aware) but nothing when it started to happen about a month ago

TerryNet

Terry
How old is your router and how many hours per day is it on?

ruttinstag

Its approx 2 years old and its on 24hrs a day. Do people turn them off, i thought they were supposed to be left running?

TerryNet

Terry
Many people keep them always on. Mine is on 10 - 12 hours/day because I shut everything down at night.

I have no idea what's the average lifetime in hours of use for routers, but from other threads here I'm developing the opinion that always on routers last 2 to 3 years. There are other people here with much more experience and maybe you'll hear from them. But my suggestion would be to look around for a good price on your next router. You may need it soon.

To get a better idea of what is happening, take a good look at your router's WAN (internet) status when it is working--saving screen shot(s) would be good--and then contrast with the status when internet is lost.

I assume that you have tried a simple restart (power cycle) of the router, or modem and router both?

You should shut the PC down each night when not in use. If I am going to be away more the a hour or so from the PC I always shut it down.
You may want to call your ISP too.
I had trouble before with not getting online and having to reset the router and I would lose the one blocking of port 113 I had to added after a firmware update to keep the port blocked.
Then it got to where when I boot my PC the first time I clicked any link it was a dead link. It would always work the 2nd time I click any link. After call the techs many times they fixed it or it just went away. But I think they fixed something because I never did anything and the trouble went away.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online