1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router lag in connecting to broadband

Discussion in 'Networking' started by earthian, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earthian

earthian Thread Starter

I have a 50mbps optic fibre broadband, which is connected to a Linksys EA4500 wifi router. I have some devices connected by hard wire to it and others through wifi.

When ever, i open any device (like Netflix on a smart TV), the initial message is that the TV is unable to connect and after a lag of a few minutes, it connects. The same happens with my computers, one of which is hardwired.

While it is not a big deal, it is quite irksome when one is in a hurry.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

See the Linksys manual for your router, page 42. It talks about optimizing for gaming and voice and streaming.

earthian likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a computer connected to the router via ethernet ...

a) does it take a few minutes for communication between the computer and router to be established? or

b) communication with the router is quick but it takes minutes for accessing the internet? or

c) initial access to the internet is fast, but it takes minutes for an application (such as a browser) to get internet communication?

4. earthian

earthian Thread Starter

My computer is hardwired to the router. When the computer is sleeping, it takes a few minutes to connect to the internet via the browser, which i commonly use. when i start Netflix or Amazon Video on the TVs, the initial message is that "You are not connected to the internet" and after a few minutes these Apps connect.

That is the reason why i came to the conclusion that it must be a WiFi issue.

Thank you, TerryNet for taking timeout to address this.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The Linksys EA4500 router was released in 2012, did you get it around that time?

I think that the router is not responding quickly enough, or one of your devices is has too much chatter that the router is not responding to other devices quickly enough. One test is to turn off wifi on the router, then unplug all but 1 device that is connected to Ethernet and then try it as you would normally do. If you get the same response time, remove that device and try another... if you still see the same thing, then the router may be showing its age. A factory reset would be the last thing I would do to make sure nothing got corrupt.

earthian likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice