1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router lets all users straight in, no log-in screen

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Direct Link Netgear R6220 Manual

I don’t know how this happened but this router suddenly started bypassing the log-in screen and puts all users directly into its setup pages. I have tried several things to get it to present the log-in screen, even unplugging the power overnight and logging in from a computer that has never before been used to log in to this router. Nothing changes.

Hoping that changing the password would fix this, I attempted to change the password but it throws up an error that the old password is incorrect (which I know it's not). So I thought I would go through the "forgot password" procedure and enter answers to my security questions but I cannot get that screen to appear.

I looked into by browser’s stored passwords and the password I’m using is the only one I have ever used for this router. So, what’s going on? How can I secure this router?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To confirm, you have tried other computers and they can access the router config without a password?

Try clearing the browsing data.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you reset the router? Just unplugging the router from pw does not clear all settings.
    Are you running the latest firmware for the router?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware on the router and then reset it to factory defaults.

5. Alex Ethridge

as stated in the first paragraph of the initial post.

Did that.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then I would recommend the firmware update and reset to defaults as CRJ and Terry suggested.

7. Alex Ethridge

Yes.

All numbers and settings in this router were done manually, to be clear, no help from the "Wizard" and I'm not an expert at this sort of thing and intermittently working on four days I think I got it right and didn't know it. It took me two more days to figure out I had it right two days prior.

I would like to avoid the risk of screwing it up and having to figure it out again by doing a factory reset. Hence I'm hoping for another solution.

8. Alex Ethridge

Latest firmware was installed before I started working with the router.

9. Alex Ethridge

Well, it looks like I have no choice but a factory reset.

Will get back and let you know how it works out in a day or two when I have time to do this all over again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice