1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

router lights on 24/7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MNMike, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

Using the search function, I found a similiar post but no answers. Strange problem that maybe somebody has run into before or has a suggestion about. I have a LinkSys BEFSR41 router that has a LED light problem. With my XP system, the lights stay on all the time. Whether the system is off or on. The lights will blink off at shut down or restart, but come right back on. This just started a couple weeks ago. No new software or hardware has been added or removed for months. These are the things that I have tried. Some are obvious, but I listed them any ways.

A LinkSys tech suggested flashing the firmware, that did not help. If I pull the power cord from my system, the lights go off. If I unplug the router, obviously, the lights will go off. If I unplug the power cord form the modem, the lights stay on. If I turn the modem off, the lights stay on. If I switch port connections for the XP system, there is no change- the lights stay on. If I unplug the CAT5 cable from the router, the lights go off. If I unplug the CAT5 cable from the modem, the lights go off. If I unplug the CAT5 cable from the system, the lights go off. I have reset the router, with no change. I have disabled the WOL feature in my BIOS.

I'm at a loss here. Funny that it just started all of a sudden. Any suggestions? :confused: Thanks!

Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many systems have a "wake on LAN" option, that keeps the LAN board powered and active. An incoming "trigger" packet turns the system on. I have a system configured that way, it's in another part of the house, and I wake it up to do backup. I suspect that the WOL option has been activated in the BIOS and/or the driver properties for the NIC.

3. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

johnwill,

Thanks for the response. The WOL feature is disabled in both BIOS and the driver properties. There is no change in the lights whether it enabled or disabled.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

An update on this problem. It's been hard to find time to monkey around with things, so I apologize for the late update.

I decide to try one more thing this morning. I repalced the NIC card in my XP system with the card in my Win98 system. Just to rule out a bad card. What do you know, the lights stayed off after a shut down. I shut down the system a couple times and the lights stayed off every time. All this time for a $15 card. Isn't that the way it goes?

I will be off to Charter tomorrow to get a replacement. Hopefully, no more troubles after I install the new one. Thanks again for your help johnwill.

Mike

6. hewee

hewee

Welcome to TSG MNMike :)

Is that you MinnesotaMike?
    Just seen your post at Tweakers.

Good to see you here my friend. :)

7. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

hewee,

Thanks for the welcome and good to "see" you around! Yes, it's MinnesotaMike. Just wasn't able to get that name here. :(

Glad to figure this one out as it was driving me crazy. I had posts on 4 different help sites. Lots of suggestions.

I took a look at your picture (in your signature) and it looks good. Are you getting ready to work on the computer!! :D See you around.

Mike

8. hewee

hewee

I knew it was you as soon as I seen the thread. :)
    To bad you don't have the same neme buddy.
    Lots of people here that you know are here from Tweaks and the old Aptiva forum.
    Your see Wino here a lot. But there are others.

Thanks I made the picture and found this site after after Don closed his
    Yes trying to add more drives to the PC.

Hope to see you around more here. Will have to see about getting your name changed to MinnesotaMike.
    I did a search in MinnesotaMike and there is no one with that name.
    Maybe the name is to long. No I see longer names so that is not it.
    Well hang around and were get a mod to help you get your name back. I know we can use your help here. This is a nice site so glad to see ya.

9. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

Thanks hewee. I'll be popping in when time permits! Can't remember the message that I got when I tried MinnesotaMike.

Mike

I just tried to register again. It stops me short of the complete name. Like you, I saw some longer names here.

10. hewee

hewee

Your very welcome. :)

Know others will be glad to see ya. :D
    I bet after his last upgrade how long a name can be use was changed to a default or something like that.

I will PM Candy to see if she can help you out buddy.

11. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

hewee,

Thanks again. I will just add to my other name to my signature. I can understand wanting to keep names short. See you around!

Mike
    a.k.a MinnesotaMike

12. hewee

hewee

Got this back from Mike are webmaster.

You can go to your profile and add what you want to your Signature.
    That way you will have it in each post and will not have to type it in each time. :)
    http://forums.techguy.org/member.php?s=&action=editprofile

13. MNMike

MNMike Thread Starter

hewee,

Thanks for checking!

Mike

14. hewee

hewee

Your welcome MinnesotaMike. :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice