1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router/modem, shared connection issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by h8erman, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

Hey hey,

My fiance and I are both connected to our speedstream 6520 via ethernet cables. I mainly use my connection to play World of Warcraft, she uses hers for work (inbound customer service). The issue we're having is that when I play WoW while she's working, it disrupts her systems connection to her work server (i guess that's what she's connected to) and she gives me hell for it.

Is there anything that can be done so that we can both use the internet connection without interfering with the others fun/work?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Technical response: If your router has the QoS (Quality of Service) feature you can use that to apportion bandwidth.

Non-technical response: Quit playing games and get a job. :)

3. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

hahaha i have a job, but i'm on medical leave due to a hernia repair so other than sitting at my pc playing games there's not much else i can do. To my knowledge, MMO type games don't really use alot of bandwidth, that's what i've read anyways.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, is she using a VPN to connect to her work location? That could be the issue.

5. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

i just checked and she does connect through a VPN.

6. JohnWill

OK, we'll need some more info now, the VPN is surely the issue.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
    Make and model of the router.
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages. I'm talking about what errors she gets when your game disrupts the VPN connection.

Can you browse the Internet on your machine while she's connected to work without disrupting her connection?

7. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

We're using a speedstream 6520 which works as both a modem and router, she uses windows xp sp2, and i'm using vista. She doesn't get any error messages it just causes her system to lock up, in which case she has to ctl+alt+del, and end task. I can browse the internet while she's working just fine, however it still locks up occasionally on her end......just doesn't lock up as much when i start playing WoW or any other MMO.

p.s.
    Thanks for the help, much more helpful than the "get a job" reply i received. :p

8. JohnWill

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice