1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router needs...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maggz, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maggz

Maggz Thread Starter

Im going to be linking 3 computers to my main internet connection as servers for my file storage and sharing website. I need to know what is a good router and not just for price but for security. I need a router i can trust as millions will be accessing these servers.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why don't you start with with what kind of service you have , T1, T3, etc? If you really expect "millions" to be accessing the servers, I think you'll be better off with a ISP providing webspace, because the bandwidth required is VERY expensive for a single purpose.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Ditto.

And your router is only a small part of the overall security. I suggest RackSpace.

4. Maggz

Maggz Thread Starter

im aware its only a small part of security but its the part im focusing on atm. I need to get my computers on a network first. I didnt ask for critism of my plan just what router would be good for the job. I am not offering a large scale storage service so bandwith will consist most of images for sigs and flash movies. I just want to know whats a good router to get my network up that i can rely on

5. Whitestar

Whitestar

What ur asking is going to be expensive. Routers with 3 ethernet ports are not cheap. and as security goes, its depends on how well u program it.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

What Whitestar is saying is that security is about all up to you when you are talking about that kind of router. It depends on how good a network security engineer you are.

If you have to ask such a question here, I think such a router is over your head.

I know you are thinking I am critiqueing you again; but, this forum consists mostly of users like yourself and some who have a little more knowledge than yourself on various subjects. You need a Cisco certified engineer.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Additional Input:

If you decide to go it on your own, I wish you luck; however, if you decide to let someone host your site, I can tell you my experience. www.futurequest.net is where I placed a site I had for a couple of years. They deliver what they say they will and they are reliable. Down time is almost unheard of there.

If you need a dedicated server, I recommend RackSpace. A friend of mine has the fourth-most-popular motorcycle-related web site in the world there. He would have stayed with FutureQuest but his needs expanded to the point he needed a dedicated server and FutureQuest doesn't do dedicated servers.

I'm sure there are other good hosts out there; but, there are some dogs too and these are two I can say are very good.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You are definitely going to need a high end Cisco Router and a Pix firewall if you want some good security.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice