Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Router needs...

760 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Squashman 
#1 ·
Im going to be linking 3 computers to my main internet connection as servers for my file storage and sharing website. I need to know what is a good router and not just for price but for security. I need a router i can trust as millions will be accessing these servers.

#2 ·
Why don't you start with with what kind of service you have , T1, T3, etc? If you really expect "millions" to be accessing the servers, I think you'll be better off with a ISP providing webspace, because the bandwidth required is VERY expensive for a single purpose.

#4 ·
im aware its only a small part of security but its the part im focusing on atm. I need to get my computers on a network first. I didnt ask for critism of my plan just what router would be good for the job. I am not offering a large scale storage service so bandwith will consist most of images for sigs and flash movies. I just want to know whats a good router to get my network up that i can rely on

#6 ·
What Whitestar is saying is that security is about all up to you when you are talking about that kind of router. It depends on how good a network security engineer you are.

If you have to ask such a question here, I think such a router is over your head.

I know you are thinking I am critiqueing you again; but, this forum consists mostly of users like yourself and some who have a little more knowledge than yourself on various subjects. You need a Cisco certified engineer.

#7 ·
Additional Input:

If you decide to go it on your own, I wish you luck; however, if you decide to let someone host your site, I can tell you my experience. www.futurequest.net is where I placed a site I had for a couple of years. They deliver what they say they will and they are reliable. Down time is almost unheard of there.

If you need a dedicated server, I recommend RackSpace. A friend of mine has the fourth-most-popular motorcycle-related web site in the world there. He would have stayed with FutureQuest but his needs expanded to the point he needed a dedicated server and FutureQuest doesn't do dedicated servers.

I'm sure there are other good hosts out there; but, there are some dogs too and these are two I can say are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.