1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router No Longer Picking Up Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JaxCyclone, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JaxCyclone

JaxCyclone Thread Starter

Our current set up has a central wired hub in the master closet which has 6 rooms around the house wired directly. We have a cable modem connected to a 5 port switch and connected to 3 rooms from the hub. One of the rooms has our wireless router and some devices plugged into it. To add to this we bought our daughter a new PC for her birthday about a month ago and the direct Ethernet wouldn't pick up a connection so she just used wireless.

Now yesterday, after work, I got home and and the wireless disconnected and all of a sudden my daughter's wired connection started working but the wireless router can be connected but now no longer picks up an internet connection.

I've done all the power cycling for the modem and the router but nothing has worked.

Have an Arris Surfboard 6183 modem and a Netgear r6400 ac1750 wireless router. The switch is a 5 port Linksys.

Thank you.

JaxCyclone

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Seems like the wiring is acting weird: on day 1 the ethernet doesn't work and now it works, but the wire connection to the router's internet port used to work but now doesn't work. Bring to router to another room and try that connection.

3. JaxCyclone

I connected the wireless router to another location and I'm still getting no internet to it. Changed cords to be sure and still nothing.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

When testing the router at the new location, were you using the same laptop as previously? If it is the same laptop, maybe some configuration on the laptop is the problem ? Test WiFi with a cell phone.

5. JaxCyclone

I'm using my phone to connect to the router. Not using a laptop.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Connect to the router's web page, and set the DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . These DNS servers belong to Google and almost always work.

7. JaxCyclone

Lunarlander, I reset my router and it won't even get to the admin portion in the setup since there isn't an internet connection. Is there a way around this? Is the switch causing an issue potentially?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Routers can be setup while offline from the internet. Did you use a password to access the router's web page ? The user name is admin and the default password is password.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your choice of which devices go where, bothered me so I went digging.
    then follows a router.
    http://www.fiber-optic-cable-sale.com/network-switch-router.html
    In a word, placing a modem to switch to router is not possible. At least not practically. Each port on the switch is a different IP address. So it doesn’t exist? Probably not unless your modem integrates the function of a router so that you can rewire and reconfigure the wireless router to set it up as access point. Seen from the outside, you indeed put a managed switch before router, however it still follows the principle that router goes before network switch.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Plodr. If you place a dumb switch after a dumb cable modem, then each router connected to that dumb switch will get a different external IP address. I have done that before.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First question: What is a "dumb cable modem"?

Next: Explain why when I placed a switch (linksys EZXS55W) on my modem (Arris SB6121 - owned by me not rented from Comcast) I was not able to get 2 computers on the internet.
    I previously used this switch on a Poweline adapter to get 2 computers on the internet that are in our basement.

I ended up having to hook 1 computer to the modem then later in the day powering down the modem and attaching the other computer to the modem.

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't have the same dumb cable modem now, so I can't repeat the setup to test. I now have a hitron CGN3. I disabled the routing function, and all 3 ports give different external ip's.

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Again, what is a dumb modem? I tried searching and all I get is people complaining about his/her "dumb" modem as an adjective. It doesn't mean a hardware device.

How does a dumb modem differ from a "normal" modem?

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

What I call a "dumb" modem is a cable coaxial modem. It has one coaxial port for the incoming cable, and one ethernet port for connection to a PC.

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Lunarlander, I'm in agreement with Liz on this one. If you put a switch connected directly to a dumb (routerless) modem, you will not get 3 external I{P addresses. Your ISP is providing you with one. You are paying for one. It is not even a static address unless you pay extra for it.
    Found on-line: Some people propose going from a cable modem to switch to wireless router. This seems good because all your devices on the network switch will have direct connections to your ISP. However, the truth is, your ISP does not offer multiple public IP addresses before the full transition from IPv4 to IPv6. So one or all ISP connections will likely fail and all of the devices connected to the switch would be exposed to the internet.

To the OP, the router (WAN input) should be connected directly into the modem output. Your router has a built-in 4-port switch. If this is insufficient, you can connect one (or more) of those LAN ports to another switch. You do not want to daisy-chain more than 3 switches together, though you could put a switch on each of the router switch ports, if you need to.
    Having it set up as you had it, you're trying to use a single external IP address on multiple devices and will get strange results. It would seem as if the router got "control", if you will, and everything was working using wireless connections, originally.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice