1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Router not talking to Laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lw_weger, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lw_weger

lw_weger Thread Starter

My problem is my laptop, connected via ethrnet, does not talk to my router. Everything was working fine, but then I lost my connection, and have not been able to re-establish it. I often take my laptop with me, and plug / unplug the cable as necessary, but now I can't connect. I get an error staing "Limited or no connectivity"

Both the laptop and router are set-up for automatic DHCP, but the laptop does not accept the IP the router tries to assign it. None of these parameters were changed, though I've tried changing them since in an effort to get the bloody thing to connect.

I have a HP Compaq nc6120 (running XP Pro)with a Broadcom NetXetreme Gigabit Ethernet card and the router is a Linksys WRT45G2. The router does not have internet access; I use a cell modem card for that. We also have one other laptop and a network printer on our small system, but they work fine. If I move my laptop to the other know working connection, I get no results, so I suspect the problem lies with my laptop or the software in it.

I have attempted to reset the router and the laptop several times, but it does no good. Using ipconfig, I see that my machine is not establishing the proper IP addresses to work. The linksys IP address is 198.162.1.1, the default for the unit, and the assigned address should be 198.162.1.100 or higher. From ipconfig;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lhw3120
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-38-0E-0A-40
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.24.45
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.24.45
    PPP adapter Sprint Mobile Broadband - Pantech:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.6.63.19
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 70.6.63.19
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.28.58.92
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    C:\Documents and Settings\user>

I've tried reseting windows IP and winsock, but it yeilded no results. From the other laptop, I've gone into the linksys router. It has a window which reports active IPs t for the router. I can see that an address was issued for my computer name (with MAC address), yet my laptop does not use it. I found an article in MS describing registery enteries for TCP/IP, and have even gone as far as to modify the registry to put known working IP addresses, submasks, etc., but still could not get it to talk again. I tried pinging from the laptop, and could not do so - it times out. If I use the working laptop, I can ping the printer and router.

I've updated the driver for the Broadcom card. No good.

At this point, I've tried everything I can think of, and I want to curse, drink, or both.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect using a wired connection, let's get that working first.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post another IPCONFIG /ALL

3. lw_weger

lw_weger Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. In the process of looking for a possible solution, I came accross a similar response (from yourself if I remember correctly) to a similar problem and reset both the IP and Winsock using the commands you posted here. Unfornately, it did not work.

Do you know how the software communicates or retrieves the assigned IP address from the router, or how it works internally to use it? When I look at the registry keys for this adapter, it does not load the assigned IP address even though it appears to be available when I look at the router page from the other laptop. If I change the keys, I can successfully update almost everything, with the exception of the assigned IP address itself. It appears that changing this key after the address is established has no effect. The software does not reread the key afterward.

I'm open to any suggestions. I would hit it with a hammer if I thought it would work, and am tempted to do so anyway.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I see you have both routing and WINS Proxy enabled, neither of them should be on.

See if you can disable ICS: Disabling Internet Connection Sharing

For the proxy:

This issue can occur if the EnableProxy key in the registry is set to bigger than 1.

To fix this issue, run Regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\

Change the value of the EnableProxy value in the preceding registry key to 0 or 1, reboot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice